PDA

View Full Version : Review of P21s Gel Wheel Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

grambow
04-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Just a little background: I am a hobby detailer from Wisconsin. By “hobby” I mean my details are done in the driveway and two stall garage with a relatively modest selection of tools and chemicals . I enjoy having the cleanest cars in the neighborhood and in the parking lot at work. My neighbors all think I am crazy and often laugh as I am polishing my car despite a forecast of impending rain or snow or a combination of both. I am good entertainment for them if nothing else.

I drive a 2007 BMW X3 in modena blue and my wife drives a 2008 Mercedes C350 Sacs Fifth Avenue Edition in black metallic. They are both kept as clean as humanly possible for Wisconsin cars. My last car, a 2005 Mazda 3 in orange was my guinea pig for most of my car care education.

I feel the above characteristics represent a large cross section of guys and gals on this board. Our hobby is to keep our cars as clean as possible which requires chemicals and tools a notch above what can be purchased over-the-counter. I should also mention I am sorta cheap but I recognize that generally you get what you pay for. I have found this usually true for car care supplies.

With that said, sometime in February this year I started getting cabin fever as I could not wait to get outside and start washing, polishing, and waxing. Unfortunately, the snow and cold weather would hang around for a few more months.

To ease my pain, I started frequenting the AG forum for advice and reviews. Needless to say, like many of you, I have been obsessed ever since. They got me hooked with the frozen Fuzion, free shipping, and regular 15% discounts. I often wondered when I saw pictures on the forum of people’s “collections” of products why anyone would need that much stuff. Now I know as I have amassed a pretty big collection of chemicals and tools myself.

I have planned all along to provide my two cents on the products I have purchased. Meghan’s challenge just gave me the push I needed. My reviews are from the point of view of the average driveway detailer. I am not proficient with the rotary (I use the PC), and I sometimes (last night UGH!!) I forget the wheel wells. I am learning as I go by trial and error and help and advice of fellow forum members who value the feel of freshly clayed paint. I hope to someday be as skilled as my detailing idol Presidential_Detail! Without further ado....My reviews.

I purchased the P21s gel wheel cleaner right after the purchase of my wife's Mercedes C350. I experienced pitting on the wheels of my last car at least in part due to the chemicals I was using. I did not want this to happen on my beautiful 18" AMG wheels. The reviews I read on this forum suggested that P21s was the safest cleaner for all wheel types. In fact, I believe the German car makers recommend P21s products as a whole.

Pros:

Safe for all wheel types. This was especially important for me and my main reason for purchasing the product.
The gel consistency of the product really sticks to the wheels. This seems to make the product go farther as you dont have to compensate for runs down the face of the wheel.
Cleaning power. I clean my wheels about once per week so they are never too dirty. It is a Mercedes so a weeks worth of brake dust is pretty significant. That being said, it did a great job cleaning the wheels.
High quality sprayer.Cons:

Price! At $18 for 17 oz, every pull of the trigger counts. I was surprised (mortified) to see how much product I used when I looked at the bottle after going around to all 4 wheels.Conclusion:
Overall, I loved the product. I loved how it stuck to the wheels. It did a great job cleaning (they were only moderately dirty). However, I probably wont purchase again based on price. $17.99 for 32 oz, and you have a deal. See my upcoming DP Gel Wheel Cleaner review. Hope this helps!

P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/p2wheelclean.html)

dublifecrisis
04-29-2009, 08:51 PM
good review. I've used up my bottle. The refill is a little better deal but yes it's still a little pricey. I think it's worth it though to save for higher end wheels. Mine lasted several months because I only used it for higher end wheels. OEM/basic wheels got whatever I had on the shelf.

killrflake
04-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I'll have to agree that P21s Gel is a little pricy, but when you see the cost of properly refurbishing a damaged wheel, forget about buying a relacement, somehow the price doesn't seem that high.

Brian_Brice
04-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Good review, and I agree the price is a little steep, especially if you do this for a living.

For you diy'ers, remember that if you're tending to you car regularly, you shouldn't have the need for a dedicated wheel gel or cleaner, as after first use they should be sealed. Keep up with the sealant and you should need no more than your wash solution to replicate the original results. Re-seal as necc. And you have yourself spotless wheels thanks to a great product for as long as you'd like.

supercharged
04-30-2009, 02:33 AM
P21S wheel cleaner gel is amazing stuff, but is quite expensive for daily driver. I want to try Optimum Power Clean for wheels, it is much more cost efficient. I believe it needs to be used full strengh.

WilliamSit
04-30-2009, 05:46 AM
i sealed my rims with DP wheel glaze and that stuff is good!

grambow
04-30-2009, 06:41 AM
i sealed my rims with DP wheel glaze and that stuff is good!

This review is to come as well.....

Meghan
04-30-2009, 08:07 AM
:Picture:Thanks for the review, next time I will be looking for the photos...you know we all love them. :D

ScottB
04-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Love P21S wheel cleaner, it is indeed safe on all wheel types, and buying it in the large bulk sizing makes more sense.

eyecandy
04-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Nice review! I was about to write one and you beat me to it!

However I disagree on the pricing P21s wheel cleaners. I come from a little different background when it comes to wheels, I want the best for them, they make or break the car!

My wheels are aftermarket, not overally expensive, but still a good chunk at $600-800 a piece plus a 6month wait time if they need to be replaced. Compare that to the price of the P21S gel, thats atleast 33 spray bottles (less buying in bulk), but if you use a good sealant maintenance is easier/less costly and your wheels look better in the end!

ScottB
04-30-2009, 05:18 PM

However I disagree on the pricing P21s wheel cleaners. I come from a little different background when it comes to wheels, I want the best for them, they make or break the car!

My wheels are aftermarket, not overally expensive, but still a good chunk at $600-800 a piece plus a 6month wait time if they need to be replaced. Compare that to the price of the P21S gel, thats atleast 33 spray bottles (less buying in bulk), but if you use a good sealant maintenance is easier/less costly and your wheels look better in the end!

I highly agree with this statement .... with an MSRP of 1100.00 per wheel in the rear for the Vette alone, that does not include the fronts at 900.00 each, P21S is well worth the extra $$ to avoid damage and need for repair.

If you can trust them for custom wheels, it will still work wonders for hubcaps and trim rings :cheers:

grambow
04-30-2009, 05:23 PM

Make or break the car...COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!

ricka
05-01-2009, 08:16 AM
i have an '07 audi that shows brake dust after a short drive and a couple of brakings. always wondered why german car makers feel the need to install pads that dust up like crazy?

i know you can get after-market ceramics, but with all the new technology, still can't figure out why the germans insist on the brake dust nightmares.

can't help it but have to wipe down the wheels every night...kind of a beating but i like clean wheels!

Meghan
05-01-2009, 08:19 AM
i have an '07 audi that shows brake dust after a short drive and a couple of brakings. always wondered why german car makers feel the need to install pads that dust up like crazy?

i know you can get after-market ceramics, but with all the new technology, still can't figure out why the germans insist on the brake dust nightmares.

can't help it but have to wipe down the wheels every night...kind of a beating but i like clean wheels!
I got one word for you... Kleenwheels! :D

ricka
05-01-2009, 09:15 AM
you know, i did ask the audi dealer about them. said the warranty wouldn't abide as it caused too much heat on the brake rotors.

wouldn't mind hearing from other audi owners on here if they found that to be the case