PDA

View Full Version : Winter Protection

JohnF
08-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Hey guys,

I'm going to send in an order for a few things to detail my 06 Explorer for the winter months.

Currently I'm using WGDG topped with Souveran, but that's not going to cut it through the harsh Chicago winter.

I'm thinking about going with the Klasse twins, topped with a carnuaba. Opinions?

Also, what do you think is the most durable protectant for textured plastic trim? I've been using Mother's protectant during the summer months, but I typically need to reapply every 4-6 weeks. Anything out there that may last longer?

The winters in Chicago are a pain. There is a good 3 to 4 month span where it is too cold to wash, so I'm looking for as much protection as I can get on there.

If there are any Chicagoland natives that know of good detail shops to get a swirl free wash during the winter months, pm me.

Thanks!

FloridaNative
08-31-2006, 09:26 AM
The Klasse twins will offer you the most protection. I would top it with a good wax also for extra looks and protection. For the plastic I think 303 maybe would be your best bet? I'm not sure how long it will last in snow though. Sorry, I'm a Florida girl, I've never had to deal with snow. I'm sure some other folks will chime in soon though. We have some New Yorkers on this forum that could probably give you some good tips. :)

MikeyC
08-31-2006, 09:52 AM
303 at least for me doesn't seem to last too long even in the summer. As soon as it gets wet it just seems to wash right off. I would try something like Poorboy's Trim Restorer or Meguiar's #38 Trim Gel.

Al-53
08-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Last winter..Here in New England..I used Klasse Twins and collinite paste wax..and it did the job like a champ....

1. AIO x1

2. SG x2

3. collinite paste wax x 2...your choice..915..476s...or the 885...any of these will hold up for the winter....

Now if you can wash the car during the winter...use a spray booster..like OCW..AquaWax..Pinnacle cyrstal mist...Mothers Spray wax...these will maintain a good sacrafical barrier to your original setup...also keep the surface fresh and slick...

for washing I use the wand wash (no brush) to get road grime and salt & sand off...I use PB's spray and wipe to finish cleaning and wipe down... ...If you go at night when it is not busy..you can bring your bucket and soap and mitt and have at it...

Seth28
08-31-2006, 01:11 PM
I personally use Zaino, the new Z2 pro rocks. I put one coat on and it has lasted the entire summer! water still beads into little tiny pin head size beads, so you know its still on and working. God I love that. As mentioned 303 is probably the best product for trim. I have not tried Klasse so I cant compare with the zaino. I have been happy with these product so far so I am sticking with them.