PDA

View Full Version : Static charge from Wolfgang sealant

termigator
04-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I finally finish polishing my Prelude VTEC last weekend and applied a coat of Wolfgang sealant 3.0. After applying it with my PC, I let it sit for about an hour before buffing it off. As I started buffing, I felt a tremendous amount of static from the painted plastic parts of the car. After letting the sealant cure overnight, I began applying Fuzion, but I was still feeling the static as I was applying and buffing off Fuzion. The layer of Fuzion seem to have dissapated the static somewhat, but I could still feel it.
Has this happened to anyone else? Hopefully, it will go away after the first wash and QD.

Ryan
04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Where do you live? The reason I ask is that if you live in a cold climate, cold air is drier than hot air, and electrostatic energy doesn't discharge as easily in dry air.

Rsurfer
04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Where do you live? The reason I ask is that if you live in a cold climate, cold air is drier than hot air, and electrostatic energy doesn't discharge as easily in dry air.Yeah, like in Vegas.

termigator
04-29-2009, 05:56 AM
I live in central Florida

supercharged
04-29-2009, 06:45 AM
many waxes and sealants have that issue. Let it cure for 12 hours, then use a QD as a final wipe down to eliminate that static. Finish Kare 425 is the best for this.

termigator
04-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, I think I found out the source of the static. I was reading the Flex manual just now and apparently it states in the safety instructions section that "If polishing plastic surfaces, these will become electrostatically charged." Who knew....:buffing:

Emile
04-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I was going to say, it is probably coming from your buffer. Usually I like to apply waxes and sealants by hand to avoid this issue.