PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure question

MASERATI nut
04-27-2009, 07:30 AM
I've just taken car out of winter storage and have been driving for a couple of weeks. I checked the psi and all 4 tires are around 34, even though Mas calls for 28. Do I need to deflate at all ? And, how are they staying so high even though I haven't filled them lately? Thanks,

itsjer
04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
I've just taken car out of winter storage and have been driving for a couple of weeks. I checked the psi and all 4 tires are around 34, even though Mas calls for 28. Do I need to deflate at all ? And, how are they staying so high even though I haven't filled them lately? Thanks,

It's probably the heat. Increased temperature increases the tire pressure.

Emile
04-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Maserati calls for 28psi? That seems kind of low, especially for a sporty car. Try checking tire pressure temps at least 6 hours after you've last driven her for an accurate cold pressure reading. If the owners manual or the sticker on the driver's side door says 28psi, and tires are still at 34psi, then just deflate to the recommended level. Over-inflated tires are just as bad as under-inflated tires.

Chip
04-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Could you possibly have put more in before winter storage? That sometimes helps to avoid "flat spots" when sitting for long periods.

GXPWeasel
04-27-2009, 03:46 PM
You should almost always set the tire pressure to the vehicle specifications ( if they are the factory tire, or factory replacements). The car was designed to perform at it's optimum level with the factory tires, at the specified pressures. If you have a different brand or type of tire than what your car came with, then you should run the pressure at the specifications given on the tire. ( greater pressure = better mileage / lesser pressure (within reason) = better performance).

If you have the factory tires, then Yes, I would deflate to match what the car says to run the PSI at.

My GXP also has a low tire pressure recomendation in my opinion, but it was set at that level to get the best performance out of that tire. I still feel that the recomended pressure of 30psi is low, and I will increase to 35psi if I am taking a road trip, so my tires wear more evenly. :)

Harleyguy
04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
If you store the car alot look into having the tires filled with Nitrogen Tire inflation.Tires won't vary as much between hot and cold temps

MASERATI nut
04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all of your advice!

killrflake
04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Doesn't Tire Rack say that a tire loses 1lb of tire pressure for every 10 degree in temp. change.