PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a wool pad?

TheTick
04-27-2009, 01:23 AM
I read up on how to clean foam pads, but I just got a PFW and not sure if it 's safe to clean with dawn. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TLMitchell
04-27-2009, 06:13 AM
I read up on how to clean foam pads, but I just got a PFW and not sure if it 's safe to clean with dawn. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've been throwing PFW in the washer with the foam. Warm wash, air dry. Been through a dozen or so washes and still look and work like new. Your mileage may vary.

TL

Wendell Jarvis
04-27-2009, 06:32 AM

I clean all mine with Dawn, no issues...just make sure they are completely rinsed.....my only issue with wool is ...the wool fly's everywhere...even after spraying with distilled water.

trlblazer3
04-27-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm using the Grit Guard pad cleaner system for both foam and wool pads and it does a great job. Pads come out like new and are 90% dry. I just leave them outside to dry completely afterwards. I also have found that when I wash the wool with the system, it cuts down shedding upon use, especially with a new pad.

While expensive, the system really does cut down cleaning time, which pays for itself in the long run IMO.

TheTick
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys. I only used warm water this last time and couldn't get all the polish out of the wool. I'll try it again with Dawn.

TLMitchell, So you just use laundry detergent with a normal warm wash cycle? I'd like to try this if I can talk my wife into using the laundry machine for this purpose.

thanks!

dublifecrisis
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
I wonder if the Dawn Power Dissolve is too harsh. I love that stuff but it is def stronger than any soap I've used.

Larry A
04-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Let soak in a bucket of water with some dish soap. Rinse with your garden hose . Put wool pad on your buffer , turn on and let spin dry. ..Be careful with the splashing when you turn on the buffer.

TLMitchell
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
TLMitchell, So you just use laundry detergent with a normal warm wash cycle? I'd like to try this if I can talk my wife into using the laundry machine for this purpose.

Yep. Did it that way with all the older wool pads for years before I started using PFW and foam. I also give 'em a high-speed spin on the rotary to get the bulk of the water out before air drying.

As for the missus, do 'em when she's not around. Use a pre-wash cleaner on a damp rag to remove the resultant ring in the washer tub and nobody's the wiser. Who's gonna tell? Not me :D

I found a very effective solution for a wife telling what I can or cannot do. It's extremely effective but quite expensive.

[Donald Trump mode]

"You're fired!"

[/Donald Trump mode]

:eek:

I try to look at it as an investment rather than an expense. Kindof like a happiness tax :D

TL <--- reformed hubby