PDA

View Full Version : last ? plastic bumper covers

redg35
08-30-2006, 01:54 PM
can you use the same procedure on plastic bumper covers as you would on steel panels.i plan on going with xmt#2 with the orange pad cause i do have a lot of fine swirls (you cant feel them with your finger nail)but they are all over the roof and trunk.weird thing is very few on the sides of the car.

sparkie
08-30-2006, 03:02 PM
can you use the same procedure on plastic bumper covers as you would on steel panels.i plan on going with xmt#2 with the orange pad cause i do have a lot of fine swirls (you cant feel them with your finger nail)but they are all over the roof and trunk.weird thing is very few on the sides of the car.

As long as your bumper covers has paint on it. Yes
Some are black plastic, if that is the case, then, No, don't polish.

coondog64
08-30-2006, 03:07 PM
This may be a dumb question, but how do you determine if its plastic or if it has paint on it. I think mine is plastic, because the rest of the car has a metallic blue chip in the paint, but the bumber is straight black.

redg35
08-30-2006, 03:14 PM
As long as your bumper covers has paint on it. Yes
Some are black plastic, if that is the case, then, No, don't polish.thanks, yes its painted.

sparkie
08-30-2006, 06:37 PM
This may be a dumb question, but how do you determine if its plastic or if it has paint on it. I think mine is plastic, because the rest of the car has a metallic blue chip in the paint, but the bumber is straight black.

9 times out of 10, if its black or gray its not paint!

ScottB
08-31-2006, 06:28 AM
As sparkie has offered, painted surfaces can all be treated the same way when detailing. It doesnt really matter if the original surface was plastic, fiberglass, steel, or aluminum as long as it has been preped and painted properly. That said uncoated products, as well as single stage paints (no clear coat) are treated a little different.