PDA

View Full Version : Collector Car Treatment

ohhawk
04-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I have a collector car that sees daylight primarily only at car shows, the remaining time it is garaged and covered. It is not taken out if there is bad weather or the threat of bad weather (including rain). The car was restored including new paint (base coat/clear coat) in 2003. Ever since I clean it only with a California Dust Buster and occasionally some detail spray (with no wax).

So far every other year I will apply the Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion followed up with 1 coat of Pinnacle's Souveran paste wax and this seems to do the job very nicely on this darker colored car. It seems to be as smooth and bright as the day I applied both nearly 2 years ago.

Is there anything more or different I should be considering in treatment of this car? Thanks.

StephenK
04-26-2009, 02:16 PM
i have seen people use a California Duster on thier vehicles and it has caused scratches. small ones but none the less still scratches.

Banacheq
04-26-2009, 11:21 PM
A lot of guys will tell you that the California Dusters are a no-no. I think they can be used without scratching but you have to really be careful. That said, I think you'd be better off just sticking with the quick detailer and a gentle microfiber whenever you need to dust.

You might also consider an occasional wash with ONR.

If the paint is swirl-free and you're managing to keep it that way, I don't see any reason to change what you're doing.

redboost10
04-26-2009, 11:38 PM
we race with the owners of all the california stuff (water/jelly blade, car duster, car cover, etc) and before every run, jimmy defrank wipes down his 69 camaro with the car duster. that thing is immaculate and its a race car that gets rubber splatted all over it.

i use it on my black car on a small section and it caused scratches so now i just use it around the house (windows mostly).

wytstang
04-27-2009, 12:03 AM
If the paint is swirl-free and you're managing to keep it that way, I don't see any reason to change what you're doing.
:goodpost: If it aint broke don't fix it. Although I would lean towards the qd vs. the duster. Some Clearkote Quick Shine or Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-instant-detailer-32oz.html) and the fluffiest towel you can afford (Cobra Shamrock 750 Microfiber Towel, 16 x 24 inches (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-towel-2.html)).