PDA

View Full Version : Best way to use a hot water extractor

Birdhunter
04-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I just got a Hot Rod (hot water extractor) and have used it a few time now, but I think I could get better results.
What methods work best?
What cleaner works best (and how much)?
What do you do to keep the carpet from getting so wet?
What kind of results are truly attainable?

Thank You, any advice is appreciated

loudog2
04-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Pre-spray the carpet before using it. You can use a shopvac to rmove any extra water.

maiku
04-26-2009, 03:27 PM
I just got a Hot Rod (hot water extractor) and have used it a few time now, but I think I could get better results.
What methods work best?
What cleaner works best (and how much)?
What do you do to keep the carpet from getting so wet?
What kind of results are truly attainable?

Thank You, any advice is appreciated

Pre-spray the cleaner before polishing. I don't put cleaner in the machine. Use only a small amount of product.
I use Meguiars APC+. Has been working great for me. I use it for everything.
Don't use too much water. It's not necessary to soak it. In fact you DO NOT want to soak it. Move it very slowly across the surface when picking up the water and allow it to pick it all up. When using on seats you must completely dry the seats immediately. Do not soak them! Some seat materials are soy based and will bleed through the fabric with some nasty brown looking color. If you do the seat, hit it with a blow dryer until it's completely dry. Don't use on leather.
Depends on the stain. I can get most stains out with a little elbow grease. Touch concentrated stains you should try to tackle by hand first to get most of it out.

Birdhunter
04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks

gto19
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
does any one put extractor cleaner in there aztec hot rod or is it better just to spray on the carpet?i just bought mine and sprayed the cleaner on the carpet and adjitated with a brush and it came out ok ,but i think there has to be a better way.i will try less water next time

trlblazer3
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I use all Prochem products with my Durrmaid. Pre-treat trouble stains, then use their dry slurry in the extractor tank. Carpets come out awesome! And I agree -you don't want to get the carpet too wet.

gto19
04-28-2009, 09:24 PM
thanks for the tips guys ,maybe ill be able to give some some day.

I did a dark grey carpet and mats from a 07 dodge mega cab WITHOUT good results.i know its not the machine because alot of you swear by it .heres what did. I sprayed the carpet with the dp carpet extractor and let it sit on the mats and carpet for at least 5 minutes.it actually felt wet with the amount i sprayed (maybe to much)i used almot the whole bottle on the carpet and mats.Then i scrubed the bad spots with a cheapy brush from target.finally after the water was hot i turned on the aztec hot rod that i bought from ag and sprayed the carpet with the hot water while it was vacuming at the same time .now it seemed really wet .i scrubbed the bad stains with a towel and vacumed with the extractor for a while.it looked descent but not great .the next morning i looked at the mats and where the stains looked like they were gone last night .well they were completly back after the mats had dried the next morning .what am i doing wrong?my guy was pissed

Showroom Shine
04-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Maybe you got things a bit too wet. Also I don't think you should have used the whole bottle on the mats and carpet!
I always pre- spray lightly,agitate,extract and vac. Nothing but hot water. This is to insure that all the product and water is removed and it just barely wet to the touch. I have found that that best thing to not do is over use product or over wet. When it dries, this will tell the story!