PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber towels?!? My head is spinning!!

eyecandy
04-24-2009, 12:28 PM
So I want to buy some quality microfiber towels, I have been looking at the AG Cobras and Pakshak MF towels, there are too many to choose from for each application I am going insane here!!

For example here are a couple that have me puzzled the Cobra Arctic white Miracle and their edgeless, from looking at the pics the Miracle is a plush, while the edgeless is a weave type..... And they both say they are for wax, polish removal and buffing.... Whats up with that?? And Pakshak has the Ultra-Edgeless (cheaper price). Plus their is the Indigo...... Which is better to use?

Then their are the 530s (AG and Pakshak) and 750s shamrock, plush type, for QD/spray wax, why are there so many for one application?!?

Their is more in each catagory buy I narrowed it down to a few, if there are others that are better let me know. Is there a MF tutorial, like a master list of what to use for a specific application and of those which is better?? Or is it best to buy some of each, try them out and decide for myself?

I am looking for some for each application drying, washing, polish removal, wax/sealant removal, QD, and interior/engine bay/wheels/doorjams . I assume for interior/engine bay/etc a general purpose type will work just fine. And possibily polishing and wax/sealant removal could be combined as one as with washing and QD....IDK....

Its just a TOWEL and its kicking my butt!!!

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Go with the PakShak Ultra-Plush MF towel. Great quality and price.

r0ckstrWS6
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
yes, there is quite a variety when it comes to the microfibers.

it all comes down to what you would like.

for instance, a 530 vs a shamrock. Now, they are both used for the same purpose, yet the shamrock is fluffier. so when choosing, just choose which you would prefer, they both do a very good job. it's just what you prefer. it's basically the same for the other towels also when you have to choose between a few that share the same purpose. hope I helped.

eyecandy
04-24-2009, 04:47 PM
yes, there is quite a variety when it comes to the microfibers.

it all comes down to what you would like.

for instance, a 530 vs a shamrock. Now, they are both used for the same purpose, yet the shamrock is fluffier. so when choosing, just choose which you would prefer, they both do a very good job. it's just what you prefer. it's basically the same for the other towels also when you have to choose between a few that share the same purpose. hope I helped.

I know alot of it comes with personal preference with just about anything in this world... but how about the Cobra Arctic white were you have the plush and weave type, and both can be used for the same application, I would assume the difference would be the type of product you are working with, ie hard to remove residue weave type; easy use plush type?? Would a weave type scratch the surface whle removing wax/sealant?

elk42
04-24-2009, 08:15 PM
i have been through this as well. i have a variety of towels from Cobra, Chemical guys, Sonus, Viking, Vroom et al. Try different products and see what you like. They most likely buff, wax, sealants, polish, ad QD. Who cares really. The bottom line is you dont want to scratch your car right? Properly wash and dry your car and use the products these helpful people advise. You'll get better at this as you gain experience. Elk.

Emile
04-24-2009, 11:44 PM
If you want to re-do your whole towel collection, then start by ordering one or two of the different towels you have narrowed it down to. Find what works for you.

If this helps you out, personally I somewhat recently redid my towel collection and I settled on the following setup:

-1 dozen 16x24 waffle weave towels (about to purchase another half-dozen, though).
I use these for drying the vehicle after washing, particularly after an Optimum No-Rinse Wash. Also use them for cleaning glass.
-3 dozen DI All-Purpose microfiber towels.
I use these for wax/polish removal, interior cleaning, and whatever else I need. These are my "go-to" towels.
-1 dozen Walmart microfibers.
These are terrible but they are cheap. I use these to dry off wheels and tire sidewalls. I also use these to apply waxes and QD's to my rims after washing.

That does it for me. A minimum variety of towels, and each type of towel does more than one thing. Some other members on the forum have much more complicated setups, such as using one type of towel in one color for one task, and the same type of towel in another color for a different task. Then they use a different towel altogether for another task, etc. etc. The possibilities are endless, you just gotta do what works for you.

Bunky
04-25-2009, 06:52 AM
I tend to like:
1. short nap towels for polish/wax removal and glass cleaning (in the initial wipe). They do not "roll" as much for me as compared to a folded thicker nap towel.

2. deeper pile types when more liquid is involved (like QD's, ONR, glass drying). I equate more fiber to better fluid capacity.

3. waffle weave with foam core for drying (I just cannot get a std waffle weave to remove enough water without having to come behind with a second dry towel to prevent some spotting

4. cheap short nap towels (for general non-paint use). I would get two colors so you can segregate the dirtier ones (like on wheels, etc) from ones used on interior plastics.

Meghan
04-25-2009, 09:19 AM
You can get lost in microfiber towels, I admit our selection is large, but its all your fault!:D You all love microfiber so we try to make our store like a kid in a candy shop for you.

For me I have go to towels:
Removing polish- Indigo
Quick Detailing- either Supreme 530 or Shamrock
Drying- ALWAYS the Guzzler!
Interior- Mango- new batch is softer and thicker then before
Wheels- All Purpose

Hope that helps

Jimmie
04-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Another of my must have's is the "Glass Waffle Weave".

loudog2
04-25-2009, 11:42 AM
You can get lost in microfiber towels, I admit our selection is large, but its all your fault!:D You all love microfiber so we try to make our store like a kid in a candy shop for you.

For me I have go to towels:
Removing polish- Indigo
Quick Detailing- either Supreme 530 or Shamrock
Drying- ALWAYS the Guzzler!
Interior- Mango- new batch is softer and thicker then before
Wheels- All Purpose

Hope that helps
:iagree: Only exception is, that I like the artic white edgless towels for wax removal. They roll up less than the indigo, but the indigo is a great towel. Antoher surprising great towel, is the ultimate green guzzler cobra waffle weave drying towel(28x44). I can do the whole car with just that towel, and almost a second. The HD guzzler usually takes 1-2 towels for 1 car.

Meghan
04-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Another of my must have's is the "Glass Waffle Weave".
I don't do windows, I stink at it, I use the Glass Science on the outside and prayer that someone else will clean the insides!:o

ScottB
04-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Always shop the AG BOGO area first for towels, as trust me as I try towels for everybody Cobra's are great towels.