PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil XL oil

Pages : [1] 2

reeeko99
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Has anybody used this oil and what are your thoughts on this vs. say something like Penzoil Platinum which is my present oil of choice.

plan on doing twice a year changes - avg about 5500-6500 miles per year in each of my cars ( Mazda 3 and 300C ) 5w20 weight oil.

THank you,

redboost10
04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
amsoil is a very proven oil company. its one of the few oils with a lot of zinc. schaffers oil is loaded with zinc, but you probably dont wanna know the price of it.

smokin' mark
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I used to be a die hard Mobile One fan until I tried Royal Purple. Worth every dime!

loudog2
04-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I was going to use this a while ago for my car. But at the time it wasn't certified(full synthetic). I've heard good things about it. But I didn't want to risk my warranty on a uncertified oil. One of them has since been certified. Is that the one?

I use Mobil 1 5w30 right now. I only drive 2k a year, so I do changes every 6 months.

redboost10
04-23-2009, 08:11 PM
on the engine dyno, we gained 8hp switching from regular castrol gtx to mobil 1 synthetic.

all our motors are broken in on schaffers, then if it has flattapit cam in it we only run mobil 1 delvac diesel oil, anything else we run amsoil.

on my 4cyl turbo motor, i run walmart supertech oil, always have on these types of motors and always will, haha

ObsessiveAutoDetail
04-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Used Amsoil from day one in my turbo Scion xB. Even though it is supposed to be able to go 25,000 miles between changes, I change it every 5,000.

nrengle
04-23-2009, 09:06 PM
I used to use Mobil 1 synthetic till I found they were doing a few things I didn't agree with. IE taking additives away such as zinc and phosphor to help prolong the life of the Cat. This way it risks more engine wear and damage. I have since switched to Motul or Amsoil. Whichever is on sale at the time online. Both are a better performing oil I believe. I've also switched to the Napa Gold filters, which preform great. Go to bobistheoilguy.com to check out peoples individual oil analisys results, and see what you think. You a lot of the US oils are ok, but the European brands seem to be kicking butt...

Also I've run Amsoil in my car for nearly 12500 miles before my first change, minimal burn off (added less than a quart in that entire time).

redboost10
04-23-2009, 09:11 PM
well said, what made us switch from mobil 1 to amsoil was we started seeing excessive wear on the cam gear. the stuff was untouchable for a while, then kinda went downhill.

nrengle
04-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I talked to my friend that's an engineer at Mercedes and he said the same thing. Unfortunately Mobil 1 is the factory fill for them, but they add a zinc and phosphor additive before it goes to the dealer, to help combat the cam wear.

reeeko99
04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
I've been to Bobs oil forum numerous times. Usually the Amsoil threads are pretty violent IMO. So I'm not getting enough info.

I think the Amsoil XL ( Extended Life ) is certified from what I read. This is the one toughted for extended. 7500 mile oil changes.
I've been doing 6500 max on most oils I buy or every 6 months.

I can get it at a reasonable price from a buddy down the street, but it's still a few dollars north of what I can buy OTC oil for now.

So I'm not sure it's worth it when I can get 5 qt jugs of Valvoline or Pennzoil Synthetic for $20-21 per. I just hate having to go into wally world, but their oil prices are pretty good.

It's only an extra maybe est. $10-15 per car per year ?

Thoughts ?

wytstang
04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Amsoil is great if you plan on doing extended oil changes. But if you only plan on going 5000-7000 miles a synthetic blend like Motorcraft or the like is more then adequate imo. Schaffers is another liquid gold I would love to run in my car some day.

Surfer
04-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Amsoil is generally always proved to be the bests in test, but more $$. I like Amsoil though and still change normal intervals, even though this and other oils say you can go 10K+ miles on a change I still don't lol. Amsoil is heavily used in offshore racing boats.

redboost10
04-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Amsoil is great if you plan on doing extended oil changes. But if you only plan on going 5000-7000 miles a synthetic blend like Motorcraft or the like is more then adequate imo. Schaffers is another liquid gold I would love to run in my car some day.

we always notice a loss of power with schaffers probably due to its thickness of substances, which is tolerable due to what its doing for the motor. we put it in a motor and make about 6-8 pulls with it, then dump it out and use like mentioned either amsoil or delvac.

if weather conditions are right, we will throw some amsoil 0w in the car, wow, that stuff is insane, haha.

has anyone used brad penn oil? ive been wanting to use it but hate to change something that isnt broken.

im an oil and filter freak, haha.

Rsurfer
04-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Not to steal this thread, but since you guy's know a lot about engines and oil, what do you think about Zmax as an additive?

RTexasF
04-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Amsoil XL or Penz Plat will both accomplish what you want. I would choose by price in this instance which means stick with Penz Plat.