PDA

View Full Version : Subaru carpet, a pain in the rear..

Lasthope05
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Well I worked on my first Subaru the other day and while the paint was actually a breeze to work on I had the most trouble on the interior, namely the carpet. I spent the better half of 2 hrs working on the carpets. For some reason the naps in the carpet loves to trap all the dirt, sand and rocks inside.

My method was just vacuum, agitate with brush and vacuum again. I repeated this process countless times before I could even get to shampooing.

Im just wondering if you guys have any good tips or tricks on getting these done quicker or is it just one of those lost causes that you have to deal with?

wagonproject
04-20-2009, 05:49 PM
VW carpets are the same. They are the worst carpets I've ever done. I just vacuum, brush, repeat many times like you said, lol.

Emile
04-20-2009, 10:55 PM
I get good results cleaning my Subaru carpets but with any interior carpet, getting rid of the stain ASAP is easiest. I suspect any stains have been there for a while and have had plenty of time to fully set in.

1.) Vacuum with a 5hp wet/dry shop vac.
2.) Apply Tuff Stuff to the entire carpet.
3.) Brush with interior/carpet brush (agitating heavily soiled areas)
4.) Run the vacuum one more time slowly to suck up any loose dirt and wetness from the Tuff Stuff.
5.) (Optional) - For areas that a good carpet cleaner can't remove, I suggest using an aggressive APC that is diluted properly for cleaning carpets and repeating steps 3 and 4.

You got a picture for us so we can see where you are having trouble?

PerroneFord
04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
After doing my Subie carpets for the first time since I bought the thing, I'll replace them before I go through what I did again. While it's embarrassing to admit, I really hadn't CLEANED them in several years. And as a coach, I drag all kinds of sand and dirt into the car.

I may get a rubber mat just for the driver's side since I ride alone 99% of the time.

Lasthope05
04-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Its not stains its dirt sand and rocks that get stuck in the carpets. The nap in them is like no other. Its good to know that there are others having the same problem as me. It just sucks theres no good solution to them.

If you have a subie and are on this board it doesnt really pertain to you as we never let our cars get that dirty anyways. :D Im talking about customer cars that are just plan filty that have never been washed or cleaned in years..(besides you though PerroneFord.. lol)