PDA

View Full Version : Insurance - Insurance Questions? Need help!

renegademobiledetailing
04-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Insurance - Insurance Questions? Need help! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/17849-insurance-insurance-questions-need-help.html)

I was wondering if any of the professionals on here have liability insurance of some type. If you do what are your rates, plan etc?

I am looking to insure my business, and wanted to get some background information and such. Thanks for the help!

p.s. i realize that rates and plans will be different for each company/person. I run a mobile detailing biz that details no more than 15 cars a week. We also do boats, and RVs. I havent done any planes yet, but would like to get into that.

Thanks again!

macman3130
04-19-2009, 11:57 PM
its out there.. i dont do mobile detail persay but my buddy has like a wagon and stuff and he was talking bout his insurance the other day, ill see what i can find

renegademobiledetailing
04-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was looking around on some other detailing sites and saw that a lot of detailers(mobile) are paying around 900 to 1200 a year. Prices vary on your area, credit and also amount of liability etc.

Anybody have some good references? I will make some calls tomorrow to check it all out.

Thanks!

Showroom Shine
04-20-2009, 05:26 AM
Check with any insurance company about Garage Keepers Insurance.

trlblazer3
04-20-2009, 09:14 AM
I can offer you a litte guidance in the insurance area (I work in the insurance industry)

Are you doing any transporting of the autos in any way? Or are you a true "mobile" operation and do no transporting/storing of any vehicles? If you aren't storing/transporting, most garage policies I know would likely exlcude the coverages you would need, as they strictly limit the coverage to only locations listed on the policy (also known as a Premises Limitation Endorsement). They would cover the transport to the "designated premises", but that wouldn't matter if you are truly mobile.

Also, when your shopping coverages, make sure you check the definitions of what's covered and what's excluded. You may find a few carriers that exlude any type of "craft" (airplane, boat, hover etc). They are only covering the exposure to an auto under your care. If you regularly do boats/planes, it might be worth looking into paying a little more to get them covered (you are going to pay a significantly higher rate). If its only occasionally where you get those kinds of details, you might consider self-insuring, charging a little more, and keep the insurance premium savings in your pocket. Also, be sure to check deductible limits -most are typically $500.

Also, are you looking for liability only, or do you also want to cover your equipment? Being mobile, I would recommend this due to the significant increase in exposure to loss (during transport to/from worksite).

Wendell Jarvis
04-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I am Insured by Travelers Insurance, not sure where you are located maybe Google it..

WindyCity
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
I was looking into insurance as well and found good policies for about a grand a year. I feel it is importing to have insurance for the simple fact that everybody sues now days. If you detail a car and the people get into a wreck and blame you for dressing on the brake pedal made it slippery and their foot slipped, etc (I hope you dont dress pedals and steering wheels). Or if you are at their house and their kid trips on your ext cord and breaks their wrist or something you might have a problem so insurance is a good investment.

trlblazer3
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Another good point to bring up, and I don't know if you do it or not, but I would draft a pre-detail vechicle condition report. Document all defects in writing and have the customer sign-off before you even touch the vehicle. Should they ever put a claim in for damages, you have signed documentation to back you up. Might even save you a few pennies on your insurance premium (Don't know for sure, but it wouldn't hurt to check -Just show them copy of how you document everything and certain carriers will give you a credit)

Wendell Jarvis
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Another good point to bring up, and I don't know if you do it or not, but I would draft a pre-detail vechicle condition report. Document all defects in writing and have the customer sign-off before you even touch the vehicle. Should they ever put a claim in for damages, you have signed documentation to back you up. Might even save you a few pennies on your insurance premium (Don't know for sure, but it wouldn't hurt to check -Just show them copy of how you document everything and certain carriers will give you a credit)

You brought up a great point, I take pictures while on the customers site or at my garage of befores ( scratches dents etc....I feel is important) plus I have a sign off sheet stating scratches dents, chips in paint and etcc...for the customer to sign off on, like the old saying goes "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" I had a lady swore up and down that I knocked off a big chip of paint off on her front end, I knew that I didnt do it but I didnt have a leg to stand on (no proof) but, she took it to a body paint shop, just to find out that before she bought the car the front end had been repainted and that after some test that chip of paint had been there for several months....whew !!! better cover your butts !!

renegademobiledetailing
04-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Hello,

Thanks for all the advice, i appreciate it. I did some homework today with insurance. I have received quotes for 800 to 1200 for the year. Most were about a grand.

I run a "true" mobile detailing business, like 100% self contained and typically dont drive clients vehicles. I rarely pull it in the garage for them, or move it up or something of that sort.

I agree like mentioned above that having insurance is a good investment. Makes me feel well... protected.

Thanks again for your help! Happy Monday