PDA

View Full Version : Washing without swirling the paint...

KJW Detailing
04-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Good Morning!

So now that i detailed up the car (07' Civic in the show and shine section), I want to investigate the different washing techniques to determine whats the best method to reduce the amount of swirls that are a direct result of washing.

Current Process - Two bucket method with ShMITT and DG 901

Little more info...

I wash my car regularly (possibly once per week)...im young and i dont like it dirty and the car cover can only do so much...like keep it clean till i drive it and then i dont use it b/c i've driven it.

I know that foam washing is becoming popular...can anyone explain the process and products they use for this and their experiences with using foam. I've read somewhere on here that you can setup a foam wash with a drying agent and spray on the car and it dries at the same time (any truth to this)?

I'm just looking for a process to help reduce the swirls i put in!

sal329
04-19-2009, 09:37 AM
I wash the Accord atleast once a week. I have had no signs of marring using ONR with a Proline Grout Sponge or a Sheepskin mitt. I use ONR diluted to the QD recommendations and spray the car down. Then wash using the 2 bucket method.

Ryan
04-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Well I don't use a car cover, I think they do more harm then good. I usually wash twice per week using the two bucket method with grit guards in each.

Using a foam gun I presoak my SI using a mix of TAW and duragloss 90l, During the wash stage I use two genuine sheepskin wash mitts; With one sheepskin mitt dedicated to only the lower body panels.

As most I clean my wheels and tires first with a dedicated MF mitt however, I use a seperate 3 gallon bucket. As far as the car, I wash top to bottom and in strait lines while pre foaming each panel with soap before using my mitt. I also switch out my clean rinse water at the half way mark of the wash.

In addition I also like to add about 2 oz. of ONR to my soap bucket to soften the water. I use a compact leaf blower to dry, and follow it up with just the weight of the guzzler and a fine mist of FK 451 to capture any residual water remaining.

lgtspecb
04-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I wash the Accord atleast once a week. I have had no signs of marring using ONR with a Proline Grout Sponge or a Sheepskin mitt. I use ONR diluted to the QD recommendations and spray the car down. Then wash using the 2 bucket method.
Same method I do, works great. I put the ONR QD in a chemical sprayer so I can easily spray the section down and let it dwell for a minute. I prefer the Meg;s Microfiber Wash Mitt though, got a whole drawer full so I can replace them monthly.

]Using a foam gun I presoak my SI using a mix of TAW and duragloss 90l, During the wash stage I use two genuine sheepskin wash mitts; With one sheepskin mitt dedicated to only the lower body panels.

As most I clean my wheels and tires first with a dedicated MF mitt however, I use a seperate 3 gallon bucket. As far as the car, I wash top to bottom and in strait lines while pre foaming each panel with soap before using my mitt. I also switch out my clean rinse water at the half way mark of the wash.

In addition I also like to add about 2 oz. of ONR to my soap bucket to soften the water. I use a compact leaf blower to dry, and follow it up with just the weight of the guzzler and a fine mist of FK 451 to capture any residual water remaining.
Sounds like a great traditional wash method, but what is TAW?

Adding ONR to the wash is great, as well as a quick detailer afterwards to aid in drying and freshen the protection.

Ryan
04-19-2009, 11:04 AM
QUOTE: Sounds like a great traditional wash method, but what is TAW?

Thanks man.... How's that WRX treating you? TAW is Total Auto Wash by P21s

lgtspecb
04-19-2009, 11:17 AM
QUOTE: Sounds like a great traditional wash method, but what is TAW?

Thanks man.... How's that WRX treating you? TAW is Total Auto Wash by P21sI don't wanna hijack the thread, so I'll just send you to my Show & Shine (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/17623-2009-wrb-subaru-impreza-wrx.html). I just topped it off with some Optimum Opti-Seal and Optimum Car Wax and it looks amazing, I didn't post those pics in there though.

spamlova
04-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I would never personally use a car cover. A billion different wash methods, but using a car cover will kill you finish unless you wash it every time before you put it on.

KJW Detailing
04-20-2009, 03:37 PM
i dont put the car cover on the car unless i have just finished washing it...

Matt
04-21-2009, 03:58 AM
+1 for the car cover, it will put many swirls on the paint so for reducing swirls, abandon it...IMO ;)