PDA

View Full Version : mixing waxes

macman3130
04-19-2009, 04:25 AM
i was doing a detail on a 08 honda crv the other day and when it came to waxing i found two jars of poor boys paste that was from my first autogeek order about 5 years ago! so i decided i might try and use it up to give me a good excuse to buy some more :righton: well it worked, but i was left with some crumbs in one jar and a couple chunks in the other, a buddy of mine told me to take a hair dryer and melt them and pour them into one container for cleaner easier storage, when i melted them i decided to add some mequires nxt 2.0 liquid wax that was almost empty just to see what would happen. it hardened and smells amazing and feels amazing on my hands, im doubting that a miracle happens when i use it but was just wondering if anyone else has mixed waxes and if so had any luck or found anything worth sharing thanks!! Feed back please

supercharged
04-19-2009, 04:31 AM
any pics?

macman3130
04-19-2009, 04:36 AM
i havent used the wax yet. just mixed it today and let it set to dry. ive got a jeep to detail this week and im going to experiment :righton:

macman3130
04-19-2009, 04:37 AM
ill post pics quickly after i use it

ScottB
04-19-2009, 07:39 AM
I have heard of melting wax in a double boiler and then cooling, but I personally would not do it. My wife would kill me anyhoo.

lgtspecb
04-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Typically, I trust that the chemists know what they are doing and so I don't try to mix my own products. I don't know anything they don't (well not about detailing chemicals and mixtures at least).

macman3130
04-19-2009, 01:44 PM
aqua wax and megs qw mixed is nice! i get bored and wanna try new things

macman3130
04-19-2009, 06:15 PM
the wax looks nice one, nothing fancy but i noticed it was easier to take off than just plan poor boys paste, ill get some pics up. and the nxt always looks better after it sets up so maybe itll look better tomorrow

termigator
04-19-2009, 07:54 PM
A few years ago, some guy on Autopia mixed M16 + P21s and posted it on the forum. It became a real popular thread for a while and got people, including myself, to start stinking up their kitchens with their own ideas of the best mix of waxes. I mixed Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax + Mother's Pure Carnauba paste wax. Didn't really find any advantages or disadvantages. Maybe I should have mixed Souveran and S100.....:cheers:

RaskyR1
04-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Typically, I trust that the chemists know what they are doing and so I don't try to mix my own products. I don't know anything they don't (well not about detailing chemicals and mixtures at least).

I agree.

It's like people mixing a compound and a polish to save a step...

macman3130
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
im not trying to create the next best wax, i just had some bout empty mess and put them together.

RaskyR1
04-20-2009, 11:09 AM
im not trying to create the next best wax, i just had some bout empty mess and put them together.

Right on. I wasn't trying to flame on you or anything. :cheers: I don't think there will be any harm in mixing waxes, if it works go for it. I'm sure you could see my point with compounds and polishes though. ;)

lgtspecb
04-20-2009, 11:58 AM
I also am not trying to flame you or tell you that you are wrong in any way, experimentation is good and there are in fact a few products that mix well, if you come up with the next great thing by combining products then awesome! share it with us :)

My point was simply that the chemists know what they are doing and formulate their products to work a certain way or under certain circumstances, and generally they do a good job at it. Mixing products can yield unexpected results for better or for worse.

macman3130
04-20-2009, 03:32 PM
ha yeah i got yall, just throwing that out there. oh and i need a new camera. was going to take pics of the finished product and apparently my camera went kaput

keesue
04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
I keep a few quart bottles handy. When I get down to the corners of bottles of spray wax, QD, glass cleaner, tire and interior spray, they get added to the corresponding bottle.

The mixtures actually work pretty well and I don't waste anything this way. I like to think I'm being a mixologist, but I guess I'm really just being a conservationist. Heh....

That said, the mixture of AW, OCW and UQD is awesome. I use it to keep my car top notch. I also mixed some PB-SW with PB-SG and it really helped the SW go on better and I like to consider it the precursor to QD+ as that is how I use it. The interior mix works outstandingly well also! I feel like I'm getting the best of all the products in one bottle. :cheers:

Oh well, back to the laboratory. jeez.... Here is a pic of the recipient of the brew.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/keesue55/YarisandVolvo005.jpg