PDA

View Full Version : 3 step system!

Georgia Sandman
08-29-2006, 02:04 PM
im wanting to detail my truck i want to use the clay bar and then use MEGUIRES 3 step system! can anyone help me with this? how to apply it and remove it? please go into full detail if you can!

sparkie
08-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Welcome, to Autogeek. Are you the same Georgia Sandman from FTW?

Here is the link to Autogeek detailing guide.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Georgia Sandman
08-29-2006, 08:34 PM
yes the same of of FTW!:righton:

ScottB
08-30-2006, 07:03 AM
I dont know the Megs 3 step system specifically, but suspect it is like Mothers and others. The three steps are usually a paint cleaner, a sealer or filling product, and protection.

Paint cleaner --- usually chemical based, it strips away oxidation and brightens the paint. P21S and Pinnacle make one of the best offered, and Klasse AIO has always been a staple.

Sealer/Filler --- This product is usually more of a filler (versus a paint sealant, you will see these terms used quite loosely on alot of products) and it helps to hide swirls. This is temporary, and where most move on to a dedicated buffer/pad/polish step. Clearkote makes Vanilla Moose Glaze which would be considered best in this matchup and is slightly abbrasive working well by hand.

Protect --- this is the "wax" of the system. Taking the time to protect your finish will give you happiness. While 3 step systems are designed to work well in unison, I would move to a pure carnauba. Max Wax, Nattys Blue, Pinnacle Sig Series, Pinnacle Liquid, or Souveran paste would be considered best of the best.

In closing, I will add a finish is made up of more than these steps. Your car should be washed weekly with car safe wash and a good towel or mitt. You should dry the vehicle after each wash. And I would highly suggest a good qucik detailer like Pinnacles Crystal Mist to keep the carnauba alive. A quick wipe and go will keep the pop alive.

OCDetails
08-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Meguiar's and Mother's and every other 3 step product out there is just like has been posted above. As long as you are cleaning the paint, polishing the paint, and then protecting the paint, then it doesn't matter whose name is on the label of the product you are using. I would suggest that you actually consider the 4 step system if you are really interested in proper paint care. After you wash the car you should begin with clay to remove the paint contamination that a paint cleaner won't remove.

As far as instructions on how to apply and remove the products involved, well, that is not something that really needs much explanation. Just follow the directions on the bottle and that will work.

Georgia Sandman
08-30-2006, 09:49 AM
ok well schould i get a Porter Cable buffer? or can i do this by hand?

ScottB
08-30-2006, 04:22 PM
ok well schould i get a Porter Cable buffer? or can i do this by hand?

you will never see the same benefit by hand as you will by machine. A PC or Cyclo is a great choice for novice ....