PDA

View Full Version : About to polish my 06 Vette with Menzerna SIP and Porter Cable: Please Help me Answer

Pages : [1] 2 3

MattBrown0761
04-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Ok, so I just purchased the Menzerna SIP (32oz) and the porter cabhle random orbital polisher, and got 4 free orange cutting pads included (which I initially read were the best to use with the SIP). My question is, is it ok to use the SIP, and then use wax as a sealant?? (I use tech wax 2.0 or gold class wax). I just don't see the benefit of polishing with IP after SIP if SIP removes higher grade scratches/swirls. I'm not looking for absolute perfection, I just want the majority of my swirls gone and it looking shiny again. Also, am I suppose to frequently spray the polishing pad with distilled water?? Is it completely necessary to clay bar the whole car before polishing? I clayed it once last year and it didn't seem like too much came off....the car only has 10k miles on it right now. Can I safely wash it good and go right to polishing? thanks for any help guys! also if you live close or in MA and don't have any problem lending a hand lemme know!!!

GXPWeasel
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I am no professional, and I'm sure others will chime in with more help. I would absolutely clay the car again after a wax. Just because you clayed the car last year, doesn't mean you didn't get more road contaminants on it since then, that can do damage to your paint if they attach to your pad, and get moved around. Now if the car is 100% smooth, then you wouldn't have to clay, but quite honestly, I would take the 1/2 hr. to 1hr. to clay just incase. The paint on your car, and your time is waaaaayy to valuable to have to do everything over again b/c the surface wasn't 100% clean.

Just my $.02

MattBrown0761
04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
yeah, it just almost seemed that the clay wasn't doing too much...if anything i think maybe it caused more marks. i used it just as directed on the package, lubricating the surface with the cleaner spray and slowly rubbing the clay around. i could definitely see some specs in the clay but not much. i guess i'll try it again and see what happens....

as for the other questions/please share your input guys. thanks

HMFIC
04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
If the clay caused more marks you were either not using enough lubricant or you picked up some larger bits and did not notice.

dublifecrisis
04-17-2009, 01:28 PM
depending on whether your car is garaged and what areas you live/drive in, you might be able to get away with just spot claying. Areas like hood, roof, and truck, back bumper, behind the tires etc might need claying but the doors etc may not need it.
You might think the surface looks fantastic after SIP but I guaruntee you switch to a finer polish and a white/gray pad you will see a noticable difference.

Emile
04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Ok, so I just purchased the Menzerna SIP (32oz) and the porter cabhle random orbital polisher, and got 4 free orange cutting pads included (which I initially read were the best to use with the SIP). My question is, is it ok to use the SIP, and then use wax as a sealant?? (I use tech wax 2.0 or gold class wax). I just don't see the benefit of polishing with IP after SIP if SIP removes higher grade scratches/swirls. I'm not looking for absolute perfection, I just want the majority of my swirls gone and it looking shiny again. Also, am I suppose to frequently spray the polishing pad with distilled water?? Is it completely necessary to clay bar the whole car before polishing? I clayed it once last year and it didn't seem like too much came off....the car only has 10k miles on it right now. Can I safely wash it good and go right to polishing? thanks for any help guys! also if you live close or in MA and don't have any problem lending a hand lemme know!!!
1.) Tech Wax 2.0 is perfect after polishing.
2.) SIP & Orange pad will remove deep swirls, but will instill its own minor scratches and haze and will dumb down the gloss. After SIP & Orange pads, follow up with a less aggressive polish and White Pads to remove the minor swirls, scratches, and haze, and to restore the gloss. Yes, it is a ton of work.
3.) When you are using Menzerna polishes, typically you are supposed to mist the pad with a quick detailer or pad conditioner and then apply the polish to the pad, then start polishing. Literally any quick detailer will work.
4.) No, it's not necessary to clay before polishing if you don't want to. Orange Pads will probably get rid of all the embedded contamination but it's best to let the clay do that so that no contamination gets onto the pads and ends up re-scratching the paint during polishing.

Good luck and happy polishing.

gewb
04-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Also, am I suppose to frequently spray the polishing pad with distilled water??

That depends on the humidity where you are working. In most cases an initial priming is all that you need. However, if you live in a very dry area you may need to use a very fine misting before every panel. This is the case here in Colorado where the humidity gets into the low teens or single digits which dries everything out very quickly. When it's in the single digits it's too dry to use a bucket/shampoo wash because the shampoo and rinse dries on the finish so quickly (the DP rinseless is great to use under those conditions).

Regards,
GEWB

Rsurfer
04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
What size pads do you have? If larger than 5.5" you will take a year with SIP on a Vette hard clear. If it does remove most of the swrils you will still have to finish down with a white pad and 85rd or 106 at minimum.

MattBrown0761
04-17-2009, 04:00 PM
What size pads do you have? If larger than 5.5" you will take a year with SIP on a Vette hard clear. If it does remove most of the swrils you will still have to finish down with a white pad and 85rd or 106 at minimum.

I received 4 of the 5.5" LC orange cutting pads when I bought the pc polisher and menzerna sip polish, so that's all I have right now. Since I have been reading further, it looks like I may have to invest in some white pads, and then black or grey ones for a finishing polish with something like Menzerna Nano?? I saw a package with the nano polish and Wolfgang sealant for like $65 bucks on sale right now on autogeek, so i'm debating just buying that. What would you suggest?...I have never done this before. I've have been watching the detailing videos and reading everything I can, but don't want to jump into this without researching it correctly. Also what backing plates do you use? I was just going to stick the orange pad ove the stock white pad that came with the porter cable...I obviously have no idea what I'm doing yet. There are also a lot of tight spots on the vette, do you just buy smaller backing plates and pads?

and now i'm reading you should only use certain size pads with certain backing plates or you run the risk of scratching the paint. what backing plates should you use with which pads?

Rsurfer
04-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Nano (106) has a lot of bite for a finishing polish. I would move down to 85rd or 87mc and a grey or blue pad for finishing. Some have gotten 106 to finish down LSP ready. Getting some 4" pads for tough marring or tight places would come in handy. As far as bp goes, it should be 1/2" smaller than your pad. A 5.5" pad should have a 5" bp and a 4" pad should have a 3.5" bp. The smaller bp will keep the bp from touching your paint. BTW if the white pad that you got with the pc has a screw on the back, throw it away, it's junk.

MattBrown0761
04-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Nano (106) has a lot of bite for a finishing polish. I would move down to 85rd or 87mc and a grey or blue pad for finishing. Some have gotten 106 to finish down LSP ready. Getting some 4" pads for tough marring or tight places would come in handy. As far as bp goes, it should be 1/2" smaller than your pad. A 5.5" pad should have a 5" bp and a 4" pad should have a 3.5" bp. The smaller bp will keep the bp from touching your paint. BTW if the white pad that you got with the pc has a screw on the back, throw it away, it's junk.

cool, i guess i'll skip the nano and go straight to the 87mc which seems to be a true final polish. wouldn't that really be a better finishing polish than the 85rd? and is a sealant that much important vs just waxing in your opinion?

is this the adapter i need to buy for the backing plates??

D.A Adapter 5/8" X 11 (http://www.autogeek.net/daadapter58x11.html)

do the backing plates have velcro to attach the backs of the pads to?

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
I would clay the car so you are starting with a fresh surface. It is better to be safe than sorry. You are not going to be able to go from sip/orange pad to lsp. The best plan would be to do sip/orange if needed, then sip/white pad then your 85rd with a blue pad, then your lsp. You could also try 106fa/white pad as your middle step instead of sip white, then go to 85rd and a blue pad. Why do you need that adaptor, just buy the plates for your pc. Yes the backing plates come with the hook and loop already on them. I prefer wax on my vette, but then again I am a wax junkie and is also stays in a garage, even if I didn't have a garage I would before the look of a wax over a sealant.

Rsurfer
04-17-2009, 06:24 PM
I would clay the car so you are starting with a fresh surface. It is better to be safe than sorry. You are not going to be able to go from sip/orange pad to lsp. The best plan would be to do sip/orange if needed, then sip/white pad then your 85rd with a blue pad, then your lsp. You could also try 106fa/white pad as your middle step instead of sip white, then go to 85rd and a blue pad. Why do you need that adaptor, just buy the plates for your pc. Yes the backing plates come with the hook and loop already on them. I prefer wax on my vette, but then again I am a wax junkie and is also stays in a garage, even if I didn't have a garage I would before the look of a wax over a sealant.
Matt, just follow Asphalt suggestions and your on your way to a great finish. Asphalt, you like nuba's cause you don't know how to use UPGP!! LOL!

MattBrown0761
04-17-2009, 06:34 PM

sorry, what is an lsp?? could i go sip orange pad,then sip white pad, then 85rd blue pad, then wax?

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-17-2009, 06:45 PM
lsp is your your wax or sealant-last step. You can use those steps. What color is it, I don't remember seeing that in your first post, mine is black.