PDA

View Full Version : Need some pricing help Autogeek!

TS656577
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey everyone, I've been just kind of creepin around the forum and what not. My only real post worth noting is here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/15964-some-cars-i-recently-did.html
At any rate, I have been asked about pricing to have cars done and some people don't really want to pay for a full detail, and instead they just want a wash and 1stage with seal. I was thinking that for this upcoming year I'd make a list of services and then have prices matched for each and then the customer picks what they want from the list (and certain services might require another service to be purchased with it). So what I really wanted to know is what would you guys charge for services? Or would you make a list of services and then charge an hourly rate? Anywho thanks in advance!
EDIT: A possible name to put on fliers and ads as well would be good but I'm also at a loss for this. My name is Trent if anyone uses initials in names.

AeroCleanse
04-15-2009, 09:41 PM
I charge $45 / hr with a minimum of 2 hrs.

dublifecrisis
04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
make 3 packages ranging from say...$75 (3-4 hours) up to maybe $200 (8-10 hours).

$75 would be wash, all in one (1 step) decent interior clean, hook up the wheels, tires

$125 could be the above + claying, clean condition leather, maybe swirl removal, beef up the sealant/LSP or whatever.

as far as names, just come up with something. Details by Trent, Trent's Auto Detailing etc

$200 would be full deal, swirl removal, sealant/wax, full trim, rain repellant on windows, really spend the full day type of deal.

this way you're making 20-25 an hour and doing something you enjoy.

Wendell Jarvis
04-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Dublifecrisis is on the right track with pricing....although with me its an educational process too, I explain the importance of doing a complete and full detail and paint correction and educate them on properly washing their car from home etc...........I personally feel I earn their trust and gain their confidence.

dublifecrisis
04-16-2009, 08:21 AM
yeah mine was just a guide really. There are a lot of variables with your approach to pricing. Your experience, your target customers, volume, demand, overhead.

I only do this detailing stuff on the side but I've learned most of the time, it's ok to stick up on the higher side of pricing. First time customers may have that suprised look but if your work backs it up, they'll be back.

My main point to the pricing suggestion was to give a simple approach. Stick to the package but at the same time, learn what the customer expects and what they want. It's their money and as Wendell said, the more educated the car owner is, the more they'll respect your service.

GXPWeasel
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I would follow the advice above, with a slight modification. When I first started detailing, I would contact other detailers in the area, and act like a customer, to get thier pricing. Then I would look at some of their work, and compare it to my own work. This way, I could figure out if my work was comparable or not. Plus, when I was starting out, I would always try to beat everyone else's prices, because I had much less overhead.

On a side note, You also should try to upsell, or sell your own work. I don't mean to sell them something they don't need, but try to tell them the benefits of each step. If they say they just want a wash and wax, explain to them that their wax will continue to look better for longer if it is proceded by a paint sealer, and maybe some swirl remover. This way, you are recommending your work, and giving them a better looking vehicle. Also, you could try offering some of your first customers a discounted rate for a full detail, in exchange for some recommendations to their friends and peers. This way, your work will speak for itself, and you have some free advertisement.

TS656577
04-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone. I've kinda taken ideas from each of you. I really appreciate it :D