PDA

View Full Version : please educate me Re: paint cleaners

robzie
04-15-2009, 02:40 PM
how important is this step? in my example, i was planning on doing my truck this spring with just Menz 85RD and LSP.

AG's site doesn't list any Menz polishes as paint cleaners. I've used P21 GEPC before and I thought it serves as the same step as 85RD (last step before LSP).

am i better off just using GEPC rather than 85RD in this case?

can someone please clarify (you don't necessarily have to use the above mentioned products)

thanks

Jimmie
04-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Good question and a tough one to answer. You will get many different opinions. Most will say that an abrasive polish will remove all contaminants from paint. There was once a thread on here where after the member polished he used a paint cleaner and showed pictures of the dirty pads. A detailer from the UK had videos that showed him using a paint cleaner after polishing. Each time I have used a paint cleaner after a polish (50% of the time) I haven't seen any dirt on the pad but maybe a little more squeaky clean.

loudog2
04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
If you don't need to polish save your clear coat, use a paint cleaner. I use mine when I change LSP's. My car is a garage kept weekend warrior. So the paint is fine. No need to use a polish when it is not needed.

ScottB
04-15-2009, 04:19 PM
I consider polishing or paint cleanser, dont see the need for both. It depends on the finish .. if polishing isnt needed or time is tight then the P21S or Pinnacle lotions are spectacular.