PDA

View Full Version : Taping Edges

My4x4Jeeper
04-15-2009, 03:52 AM
is using a rotary over rounded edges/bodylines ok? Especially on a hood. Do you buff over them? If so, i'm assuming very lightly. What exacly do you tape? Also on door gaps (from front fender to door) do you have to worry about burning that as long as its the same flatness as the other panel? Or do you tape that? Thanks for the help guys!!

style
04-15-2009, 05:01 AM
is using a rotary over rounded edges/bodylines ok? Especially on a hood. Do you buff over them? If so, i'm assuming very lightly. What exacly do you tape? Also on door gaps (from front fender to door) do you have to worry about burning that as long as its the same flatness as the other panel? Or do you tape that? Thanks for the help guys!!

only tape the high edges example if the hoods above the fender tape the hood,like this one i wet blocksanded it with 1500 girt then compound wool pad then polished the trunk then taped it off due to the odd shaped 1/4 panel then started buffing the panel after sanding etc,

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n143/marce37/IMG00064.jpg

if the edges are level no problem keep the pad spinning just lower your speed to med, and when you get really on them make shure your pad is running down and lower your speed to low,if you go against the edge you may gouge it..

follow this untill you get used to your buffer/polisher(i use my rotory(dewalt) at full speed all the time any color,then chase it with a bo6040 makita to finish off)..

keep in mind swirl marks are created by heat,and heat is created by friction..

lower speed means lower heat an you get less swirls.