PDA

View Full Version : Removing rotary trails

SPiN
04-14-2009, 06:48 AM
My buddy took his C5 corvette to a "detailer". The guy hit it up with a rotary and then used a filler to hide everything.

A week later when the filler came off, its ALL SWIRLS AND BUFFER TRAILS.

his main thing he wants to get rid of are the rotary trails/holograms.

I told him id help, can i tackle these with my UDM?

I was thinking maybe an orange pad and some optimum polish can get rid of them?

What do you guys think? The trails are horrible.

AeroCleanse
04-14-2009, 08:55 AM
UDM should be able to take them out, but the orange pad might be too aggressive.

karburn
04-14-2009, 09:15 AM
I've read elsewhere that the new Mequiar's 105 on a white polishing pad does a good job on the Vette clearcoat, but you might want to do a search to confirm it. Your optimum on a white pad would be good, too. I agree that an orange pad might be too much. Sorry that your friend had to learn such a hard lesson about hack detailers. Good luck.

Jimmie
04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Your plan will do the job perfectly. I'd start with a white pad and move to an orange pad if necessary.

Note: I've removed some horrible trails with Optimum Polish.

Matt S.
04-14-2009, 10:56 AM
OP isn't going to do a whole lot on a C5 or C6, but it's worth a shot..it all depends on how bad the swirls and holograms really are. If it works with the orange pad, just follow with a gray pad to restore a higher gloss.

Derrick
04-16-2009, 08:03 AM
OP isn't going to do a whole lot on a C5 or C6, but it's worth a shot..it all depends on how bad the swirls and holograms really are. If it works with the orange pad, just follow with a gray pad to restore a higher gloss.

I thought the new optimum polish has better cutting ability?

Derrick