PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Wax Liquid Ice Clay stuff

HMFIC
04-14-2009, 01:50 AM
I saw some turtle liquid ice clay at a local auto store in the bargain bin for $5.98. Im not a fan of anything turtle but its cheap. Anyone ever try this stuff?

supercharged
04-14-2009, 02:52 AM
you get what you pay...although I bought my Sonus green clay from Autopia - only for $5 a bar...and that's a bargain, and it good quality clay.

Matt
04-14-2009, 03:40 AM
DON'T BUY IT!!!

I bought that Turtle Wax Ice Clay Bar about 2 years ago (well just under 2 years) and it's just pure junk. It did nothing at all for my paint. Infact, I still have the bottle of it 3/4 full sitting on the top shelf of my cupboard.

On a different note, I wonder if you could use that Ice Clay bar liquid as a lubricant for a traditional clay bar?

Any thoughts on that guys?

Cheers,
Matt.

HMFIC
04-14-2009, 09:21 AM
I also am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. But once in awhile cheap stuff has a place.
I thought it might be used something like wheels if not paint. It does look like junk tho. I thought it might be used something like wheels if not paint. It does look like junk tho.

I have a pound of the Pinnacle(pleasure to work with) and some DP clay. I like the DP too. But its a little hard to kneed(especially with a fractured knuckle)

Dsoto87
04-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Its not even worth the $5.

I have a practically full bottle that's just been collecting dust. Want a sample?

Anyways, I followed the directions and it left a nasty residue that was pretty tough to take off.

I even tried a different method and still got the same thing.

it will not take off bonded contaminants. Its more of a bad paint cleaner than anything. An expensive one at that. Don't waste the $5. Claymagic is not much more than that

Emile
04-14-2009, 04:39 PM
What store did you see this price? At the very least, it's a great way to strip existing paint protection.

As for the product itself, it's not a good alternative to clay. The paint doesn't turn out as smooth as a freshly-clayed vehicle, and there is some contamination that the liquid clay does not pickup that any grade of clay can easily scoop up.

Like I said, it's great for safe paint prep, but it's not as good as clay and it's not any easier or faster or anything like that.

bcwang
04-16-2009, 11:48 PM
I've tried the ice liquid kit that came in the clay kit (that also includes a clay bar). Just using the liquid, it definitely cleaned up the paint which had stains the wash could not. Also, it did smooth the paint quite a bit, which felt quite oxidized and rough before. It did not take out bonded contaminants though, which you could feel between the smooth parts, but I guess they included the clay bar for that.

So I'd say it definitely cleans, and it definitely smoothed the paint quite a bit compared to before. So it's doing something. I don't know how well other paint cleaners can smooth the paint so I can't compare.

HMFIC
04-17-2009, 02:33 AM
What store did you see this price? At the very least, it's a great way to strip existing paint protection.

As for the product itself, it's not a good alternative to clay. The paint doesn't turn out as smooth as a freshly-clayed vehicle, and there is some contamination that the liquid clay does not pickup that any grade of clay can easily scoop up.

Like I said, it's great for safe paint prep, but it's not as good as clay and it's not any easier or faster or anything like that.

Pep Boys