PDA

View Full Version : Removing Spoiler

Pages : [1] 2

LuxuryMobile
04-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Recently I have been toying with removing my spoiler off of my 2003 Black 350z becuase I feel they take away from the smooth body lines of the rear. Im almost certain that it is not held in by any "screws" but held by a strong 3M double adhesive(not 100% positive but have alot of clues that lead me to believe this, if you know otherwise please inform me)

Do you guys think it is worth it knowing the terror that could be beneath the spoiler? Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Thanks in advance for any advice!

lgtspecb
04-13-2009, 09:21 PM
I agree it looks better with no spoiler. If you are certain that it is only adhesive, then it wont be much of an issue. Just use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat it up a bit, and roll off the adhesive. You might then need something like goo gone to get rid of what's left. Clean, Polish and Wax where the spoiler was and you should be good. There are probably a few screws under the trunk liner though, so if there are then you will have to have the holes filled. Check the forums or call you dealer before you do anything.

There might be some permament damage from oxidation, water etching, scratches etc, and likely the paint will not match exactly. Your best option would probably be to check out the forums and find someone to trade trunks with, it is very common. And worse case scenario you just need to polish it up a bit.

LuxuryMobile
04-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Yea. Thats what i was thinking, check with a forum. That was a concern also...is the paint not matching properly which makes me wonder if its worth it.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-13-2009, 09:33 PM
I am willing to bet it is held on with probably four bolts.

lgtspecb
04-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah, adhesive alone wouldn't be enough to hold it on there. Thats why I was thinking that they are probably under the trunk liner if he can't readily see them.

AudiTTman
04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
im assuming its like the lip spoiler right??? or is it the Nismo Spoiler?

LuxuryMobile
04-13-2009, 10:31 PM
just the stock spoiler, not nismo. it doesnt come off of the car at all, it almost lays flat on the hatch. I pulled all the plastic off on the inside of the trunk/hatch and didnt see anything that hinted at bolts so Im still confused on how its attached.

But anyways...regardless of how its held on, do you think there will be significant damage underneath the spoiler? All correctable stuff without having to wetsand. I know its hard to guess but didnt know if others have had any luck with this type of issue.

smalltrees
04-13-2009, 11:14 PM
google is your friend... talks about a hardware kit...

Nissan 350Z Convertible 2003-2007 OEM Style Spoiler-Nissan (Painted) (http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=6036)

Nissan 350Z Convertible 2003-2007 OEM Style Painted Rear Spoiler. This spoiler is made of high quality fiberglass, and comes with all necessary hardware kit. Spoiler Fits 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 Nissan 350Z Convertible

HMFIC
04-13-2009, 11:56 PM
:whs:

Pop the hatch and remove the plastic from underneath. It might have screws or plastic things that hold the door molding on or both. This is just a guess since I have never seen inside the 350z. But I have seen and drove thousands of cars so I am probably close.

My family are the dreaded used car salesmen. Tho I have never sold or bought cars myself. I just like to make em clean.:buffing: and shiny!

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Since I was a service manager of an Infiniti dealership for several years, G's had bolted on spoilers so I would think Nissan would do the same for the 350Z.

Hades02
04-14-2009, 07:21 AM
I am sure that it has at least 2 bolts. My mom has a Toyota
with an OEM spoiler. It is held in place by two bolts and adhesive
tape.

LuxuryMobile
04-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all the iideas, but im not too concerned about how to remove the spoiler, that should be easy to figure out.

Has anyone had any experience with removing spoilers? Any idea what do expect underneath?

HMFIC
04-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the iideas, but im not too concerned about how to remove the spoiler, that should be easy to figure out.

Has anyone had any experience with removing spoilers? Any idea what do expect underneath?

Paint and 4 holes

LuxuryMobile
04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
OOOO....ha yea I figure that but Im trying to figure out if it will be worth it as the paint under hasnt seem sun in nearly 6 years and hasnt been treated as well as the rest of the vehicle, therefore may not even be worth taking off.

GXPWeasel
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
IMO, if there are holes, it wouldn't be worth taking off. By the time you pay someone to fill the holes, then re-paint the back part of your car, so it will blend well, you are taking a big risk, and spending quite a bit of money. Just my $.02