PDA

View Full Version : Taking off old wax/sealants

Pages : [1] 2

Lowprofile
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
What is the best product to totally remove wax or sealants so that one can start new? I am considering Pinnacle Pre-Cleaner as my choice. Is that what this product is intended to do? or do I need something else? Kind of confused on this one. Thanks

KJW Detailing
04-13-2009, 06:47 PM
i have read that dish soap is a popular choice when wanting to remove waxes and glazes...

ScottB
04-13-2009, 06:53 PM
no need for dishwashing liquid .... several types of cleaners exist.

Chemical Based Cleaner Products --- Pinnacle Lotion, P21S GEPC
Paint Strippers -- Acysol, Prepsol, Paint Prep
Abrasive ---- all paint polishes , swirl removers, finishing polishes

dublifecrisis
04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
amazing roll-off, P21 TAW, S100 cycle cleaner, Surf City Grime Destroyer dilluted, Dawn Dish Soap, isopropyl alcohol, Duragloss paint cleaner

highline1164
04-13-2009, 08:55 PM
i heard 1000 grit sand paper works well..lol

Dsoto87
04-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Even though its not sold here ## citrus wash and gloss/clear when used in higher dilutions will strip the car.

Lowprofile
04-14-2009, 01:35 AM
So the Pinnacle Pre-cleaner is not what I am looking for?? How about Klasse AIO? What do I need specifically to remove and start new? I thought that was what pre-cleaners were for. No?

Dsoto87
04-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Pinnacle bodywork lotion will clean the paint but I believe it contains fillers and oils. This is fine if your going to put a carnauba over it but you may have bonding issues with sealants.

Klasse AIO is also a paint cleaner that will leave slight protection behind that's fine under any sealant or wax.

karburn
04-14-2009, 09:18 AM
If you are looking for a spray on / wipe down product, [meaning the car is clean/clayed already] I've had good luck with Griot's Garage Paint Prep.

Jimmie
04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Yes, Pinnacle PCL is a chemical type cleaner that will work. Another is PB Pro Polish.
As suggested if your going to use a sealant I'd use any AIO; Klasse, PB, Poli-seal, XMT.

lgtspecb
04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
After washing and claying, an IPA wipe down should get anything left off. Then you can pick your favorite products to do the compounding and polishing followed by another ipa wipe down to make sure the paint is completely clean and all correction is done. You can then do a cleaner if you want followed by your sealants and waxes of choice.

r0ckstrWS6
04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
I use this :
P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser car polish - This pre-wax cleaner and polish is a German blend of quality ingredients that will make wax (http://www.autogeek.net/p2paincleanl.html)

Lowprofile
04-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Cool. Thank you. I have been looking for a reason to get a hold of some Klasse AIO. I think I will go with that one. Thank you for the help!

ScottB
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Pinnacle bodywork lotion will clean the paint but I believe it contains fillers and oils. This is fine if your going to put a carnauba over it but you may have bonding issues with sealants.

Klasse AIO is also a paint cleaner that will leave slight protection behind that's fine under any sealant or wax.

Pinnacle Paintwork Lotion has been used many times by other members with sealants without issue. It has no appreciable fillers and oils , neither does P21S GEPC.

Dsoto87
04-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Pinnacle Paintwork Lotion has been used many times by other members with sealants without issue. It has no appreciable fillers and oils

Oh ok, thanks. I never used it, but going by the description it would have you believe otherwise....

Micro-fine fillers (1.4 micron) in the lotion then fill in the swirl. When you wax over these fillers, most swirls will disappear.

Paintwork Cleansing Lotion uses a combination of gloss-enhancing oils and micro-fine fillers to polish your car without abrasives

Good to know it can be used under sealants