PDA

View Full Version : best vinyl and rubber protectant

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pitch Black
04-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Happy Easter to everyone!!!
I'm shopping for a vinyl and rubber protectant that will not only work well on the interior but also help maintain the unpainted plastic just below the wipers and the weather striping. I like a some shine to the interior with the colors of the interior looking nice dark and rich. Does anyone have some product suggestions? You know I can't make a decision without consulting the AG gang.:o

2old2change
04-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I use Black Wow and Megs # 40 on the exterior black plastic trim. I'm sure others have their favorites also.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
04-12-2009, 02:10 PM
303 Aerospace is good stuff.

Larry A
04-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I also say 303.

Pitch Black
04-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Is 303 water based?

I was looking at Wolfgang and Four Star Ultimate Vinyl Protectant. WOW is a little more than I would like to spend but it does seem to be a good product.

Brace1
04-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I also use 303, many say it washes away in the rain but I haven't experienced that yet. I gotta admit though, that I was very impressed with Black Wow during the demo at DetailFest 4 but obviously I can't attest to its longevity from there.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
04-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I've experienced 303 coming off when it rains. You can pick it up locally at a boat store though.

Rsurfer
04-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Happy Easter to everyone!!!
I'm shopping for a vinyl and rubber protectant that will not only work well on the interior but also help maintain the unpainted plastic just below the wipers and the weather striping. I like a some shine to the interior with the colors of the interior looking nice dark and rich. Does anyone have some product suggestions? You know I can't make a decision without consulting the AG gang.:o
If you like some gloss on the interior use 303. I like a matte finish so I use 1Z Cockpit dressing. For exterior plastic you can't beat Black Wow. Just be sure to wipe it down with a damp mf after applying or it will run if it rains the same day. A little goes a long way. Foam brushes are too soft to apply Wow, I like AG's foam sticks to apply.

Lowprofile
04-12-2009, 03:23 PM
303 Aerospace and 1Z Cockpit Premium are what I use. Both great products.

ScottB
04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Poorboys Trim Restorer for outside area ... quite a bit more durable versus Black WOW.

Bunky
04-12-2009, 03:58 PM
PB TR is more durable than Black Wow?

ScottB
04-12-2009, 04:12 PM
PB TR is more durable than Black Wow?

I found so ... I also found two troubles with Black WOW. First it does not cure immediately and thus any water or rain creates streaking down the paint. (you can use the cold water spray to cure this but addtl step). We also found when it wore off it discolored the front rain area of a Nissan Xterra for good. Poorboys Trim Shine brought the color back and once wore off didnt look so terrible.

Pitch Black
04-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Are you guys using the 303 on both the interior and exterior parts? When used on exterior unpainted plastic and weatherstripping does the product produce a streak down the paint after it rains or after the car is washed?

How long does the product seem to last on the interior and how long does it seem to last on the exterior? I would like a product that will keep the exterior looking nice through a couple washings.

ScottB
04-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Are you guys using the 303 on both the interior and exterior parts? When used on exterior unpainted plastic and weatherstripping does the product produce a streak down the paint after it rains or after the car is washed?

How long does the product seem to last on the interior and how long does it seem to last on the exterior? I would like a product that will keep the exterior looking nice through a couple washings.

303 is water based and I dont personally recommend on exterior as it can run and disappaites quickly. Try the Poorboys Trim Restorer ... I even like it on tires in a pinch.

Inside is another story on 303, but I prefer Einszett Cockpit or Poorboys Natural Look as I prefer the new clean look to a matte look. 303 will last a good while and can also be used on the plastic coated leather in most autos (including the Vette).

lgtspecb
04-12-2009, 07:08 PM
303 looks good inside, but i stopped using it because it gives me terrible migraines. I use Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel inside now, which is also water based and has just slightly more gloss without the headaches.

On the exterior I also have noticed 303 running and spotting. It comes off pretty uniform when washing, but rain and puddles can make a mess of it. For exterior bits I just use my tire shine which is either Meg's Hot Tire, or Optimum Opti-Bond. Meg's lasts a bit longer, but I prefer the less glossy Opti-Bond. I have not tried any of the other products mentioned.

EDIT: I have never noticed black streaks on the paint from 303 running, just on the plastics it was applied to. Also, it will last through 3, maybe 4 washes. It is still my favorite product for using between the hood and windshield but not for tires or other trim. If it gets on the windows or paint it sucks to try to clean it off. Whether it is used inside or out, always use a dry towel to wipe off any excess (probably true with almost any dressing).