PDA

View Full Version : High Speed / Rotary Suggestions

Excessive Detail
04-12-2009, 07:29 AM
First of all I wish everybody a Happy Easter. Well I came to the realization after spending almost 2 hours on the hood of my buddys black F250 that I need to look into getting a highspeed. Now yes the hood had very hard water spots, but I know I high speed would have cut that time in half and I am aware of the possible issues using a highspeed, but I feel it would be a goodthing to learn. My question or questions are:

1. Whats the best highspeed on the market today or the favored among you guys?

2. What is the best brand of pads for a high speed on the market or the favored among you guys?

3. What is the favored pad size to use with a highspeed?

I know these questions have probably been asked a milliontimes, but I figured it be easier asking than searching for older post. Thanks guys for all the help, please feel free to givemeany feedback on this topic, I have been out of the detailing loop for a while and need to get back in it.

Eliran
04-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi there!
I am not a rotary user and actually using the Flex 3401 and really satisfied with it. As I heard the Makita is the most common polisher along with the Flex 3403 which is lightweight and heard from a lot of people great review about that so if I were you I would considering these two.
About pads I dont know much cause never used rotary but it depends, some will like LC pads and other will like The Edge pads.
Hope I helped you a little, and have a good luck finding the info you need!

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Dewalt makes a very good rotary and their tools are one of the better ones. As far as pads, I use 3M and LC.

AeroCleanse
04-12-2009, 08:31 AM
I like the Makita rotary

HMFIC
04-12-2009, 08:37 AM
I use a Milwaukee 5540. Before that I had a Dewalt which I also liked.

Your best bet for a rotary is to goto the store and man handle a few polishers. Then pick the one your most comfortable with.

For pads I also use 3M and LC.

Jimmie
04-12-2009, 10:56 AM
I have the Makita that I use mostly with Edge pads because they are so easy to change. A consideration is overall weight. Heavy can be your friend on the flat panels, but wear you down on the vertical panels.

newtundra
04-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I just bought a Hitachi SP18VA for my 1st rotory & I like it alot, lightweight.

You can find one for $150.00 just goggle Hatachi SP18VA & you will see it.

Excessive Detail
04-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the responses, alot of good info to take in, on the issue of pads, what sizes do you guys prefer touse with a high speed, i always notice they show the larger pads, but I have also seen people use smaller sizes? I also heard that using a smaller pad with a high speed reduces the risk of burning the paint, is there any truth to that.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, a smaller pad does not spin as fast so there is less chance of a mis-hap. I use 3M wool pads which are 9 inch, 3M UK pads-6 inch, LC CCS pads-5.5 inch, and the LC Kompressor pads-7 inch.

Excessive Detail
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
How do you like the LC Kompressor Pads, after reading about them on AG they look like a good pad, I currently use CCS Pads with my FLex, I like them, put id like to try something new.

Yes, a smaller pad does not spin as fast so there is less chance of a mis-hap. I use 3M wool pads which are 9 inch, 3M UK pads-6 inch, LC CCS pads-5.5 inch, and the LC Kompressor pads-7 inch.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
They are very nice to use, I will put it this way, I have not used the ccs pads since I got the Kompressor pads.

killrflake
04-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I agree with asphalt rocket about the greater safety using the smaller pads which is what I use with my Makita. I haven't tried the LC Kompressor pads but will be placing them in my next order.

Excessive Detail
04-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Well ill take your word for it and give them a try, thanks so much for all the info.

They are very nice to use, I will put it this way, I have not used the ccs pads since I got the Kompressor pads.