PDA

View Full Version : Used Rotary for the First Time

AudiTTman
04-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, i just wanted share my first time experience on the rotary. I will say that the rotary gitters faded once it was actually in my hand. I was using a 3m Grey Waffle Polishing Pad with a simple Nano polish to just get the feel for both.

First thing i noticed was how the buffer acted when on the surface. It has a mind of its own and wants to take you for a spin. I tried turning the buffer at an angle so a portion of the pad was on the surface. When i had the pad flat on the surface, i felt like it was grabbing way too much. Once i did a little tilt of the buffer, it seemed much smoother.

After a quick wipe down to inspect the surface, i found my beginner mistakes. I call them Tiger Stripes because that's exactly what they looked like. The up and down/side to side motion seemed to leave these behind. How can i stop these from happening. I know its user error so id like to correct it. I wanna learn!

Besides that, i had a blast. Hahaha i would have taken pictures, but i was too embarrassed to show of my work lol

memnuts
04-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I am in the same boat. My work van has some nice tiger stripes as you so perfectly put it. I have tried lower speeds that helped a bit and less agressive pads. I am still getting holograming and it is starting to drive me nuts

AeroCleanse
04-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Sounds like you didn't break the polish down enough, or you pad angle was too much.

AudiTTman
04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
memnuts- hahah i hear ya man!!!! those darn stripes just keep coming back! hahah

aero- yeap, i believe your right. I assumed for some reason that with a rotary everything would break down super quick. Next time i will work it a bit longer! i appreciate the advice. If you got anythign else, throw er at me !

pricha00
04-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Menzerna is a great polish but maybe not for us newbies especially with a rotary. I have been using my OC and OP quite a bit with my Makita and the long working time is a godsend. I just keep making passes with the OP until it has virtually disappeared on the panel and it seems to work real well. With the lack of dusting or grabbiness it is pretty easy to work with. I do try and keep the speed on the lower end and I have been happy, even on a black metallic paint I worked on yesterday.

Pat.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
04-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Which rotary did you finally end up getting?