PDA

View Full Version : Is this the place?

jfrano
08-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I have several scratches that go through the paint layer, revealing the primer. I understand there is no paste/polish that will fix/hide this.

I do have a fine tip marker that dispenses the color of my Pilot. If I use this to fill the scratch, are there any tips/tricks to make sure this blends well with the surrounding paint?

Thanks,
Joe

abrcrombe
08-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Depending on how well you want it to look, you have several options. Cheapest way is probably that pen. It will also give the least desirable results. Second option is to get a little jar of touch up paint (from your dealer) to the exact paint code and fill it in will paint. This does not work well for metallics (I don't know what color your Pilot is) and will produce better results than a pen. Use Langka http://www.autogeek.net/langka-paint-chip-repair-kit.html to make it smooth. The best solution is to get a respray but it is also the most expensive and the quality depends on the bodyshop you do it at.

sparkie
08-28-2006, 04:26 PM
A guy in my truck club I'm in wrote this few years back, it works. Also check out the kit on the AG store, It think it would make the repair a lot smoother.

Fixing Deep Scratches and Chips
Written 6-02-02
"Wash the hood with something like Dawn to help get the wax off it. Then use a mild polish over the scratches to help remove some more wax around the scratch. Make sure the polish is body shop safe. Then you'll need a needle or a toothpick and steady hand. Scrape out the inside of each scratch to make sure nothing is in it and to clean it out some. Also make sure the edges aren't starting to peel up around the scratch. If so you can chip those out too.

Make sure your touch-up paint is pretty thin. Sitting it in the sun will help it warm up. You can also park your truck so the hood is in the sun to let the hood warm up. It will help the paint flow into the scratches better. OR you can use a rotary buffer and a dry pad to warm the scratch up before you put paint in it.

Now, while your touch-up paint is sitting in the sun warming up you'll need to go and tape off around each chip you want to repair. If you think you have a steady hand, then you won't need to tape the chip off.

Done taping? Good, go grab the touch-up paint and move your truck back in the shade. First, the brush in the touch-up bottle sucks. Put it aside. Use a toothpick, dip it in the paint and get a small bead of paint on it. Now stick it on the scratch and use the tip of the toothpick to pull the paint into the scratch. Don't worry if they paint doesn't fill the chip up all the way. You will probably have to put multiple coats on. Do all the chips.

Now, let it dry until tomorrow. Now go inspect your work. If some need more paint then go ahead and apply some more. You'll have to wait for 24 hours again though.

Now, get some 2000 grit sandpaper, a hole punch, and a pencil with a rubber eraser. Punch some circles out and glue them to the back of the pencil. After the glue dries put the eraser with the sandpaper on it in a mixture of water and car wash. Let it sit for about 30mins. Now, go ahead and sand the paint down in the chips so they are level with your current paint. While you sand flush the area frequently and wipe dry to inspect your sanding.

Get the polish out now and just polish over the touch-up work. Again, make sure the polish is body shop safe.

How do they look? Better than having white chips all over I hope.

Wait around 30days b4 applying wax to touch-up paint."