PDA

View Full Version : Polishing stock exhaust tip on Land Rover

bentyson
08-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Hey guys -- love this discussion and I've learned alot. My exhaust tip (the stock one, nothing fancy or anything) on my 2003 Land Rover Discovery is getting all black and sooty -- anyone know what will polish it up, remove the "crusty" stuff? It's not chrome or anything, so I've hesitated to use polish.

The metal is a sort of yellowy-colored metal by the way.

Ben

Totoland Mach
08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
The color indicates it is stainless steel that gets hot. You could start with a small practice area (like the botton side) with #0000 steel wool to remove the crud. I've done complete exhaust tubing with this method and it will bring a nice shine. Then I follow that with a good metal polish that is not too abrasive (Wenol Blue, Meguiars Metal Polysh, Mother's Billet, etc).

Hope that helps

Totoland Mach

ScottB
08-28-2006, 05:28 PM
I use all-wheel safe wheel cleaner on my tips each week. I then polish them with Simichrome and seal when wanted.

Reddwarf
08-28-2006, 07:30 PM
I use all-wheel safe wheel cleaner on my tips each week. I then polish them with Simichrome and seal when wanted.

What do you use to seal them?

ScottB
08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
What do you use to seal them?

Klasse AIO, DP Wheel Sealant, or Poorboys. Wipe on and off ....

Totoland Mach
08-28-2006, 08:07 PM
If the heat is enought to discolor the stainless, most products will not last. Regular maintenance will keep them pretty. Once you remove the crud and put some good polish on the tip, that's pretty much all you have to do. I've got a polished stainless exhaust on my Mach (all tubing, mufflers, and tips). I use Wenol blue once or twice a month and/or right before a car show.

Toto

Totoland Mach
08-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Here's a pic of my exhaust. My winter project is to remove the rear axle assembly and paint is satin black with POR. Then, when I re-assemble, put an aluminum driveshaft and aluminum differential cover on. That should make for a clean appearing undercarriage.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/SLP_Installed.jpg

Toto

Surfer
08-28-2006, 09:03 PM
I have a custom dual exhaust on my truck with chrome tips, I just use AIO after cleaning them. Works well.

Toto - that looks like a set of Magnapacks?

Totoland Mach
08-28-2006, 09:08 PM
I have a custom dual exhaust on my truck with chrome tips, I just use AIO after cleaning them. Works well.

Toto - that looks like a set of Magnapacks?

The catback is SLP Loudmouth II (I tried the LM 1's, but were waaaay too loud for my taste). I am considering the SLP catted X system and will polish that too for a complete look. Saving my pennies ya know.

G'night everyone...gotta trip to Illinois early am.

Toto

supercharged
08-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Looks like another use for Klasse AIO - exhaust tips.

bentyson
08-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the tips -- I ended up polishing using 0000 steel wool and some metal polisher I got at the hardware store, it looks really great. Shiny and new.