PDA

View Full Version : South Jersey Detailers...excellent in wet sanding?

KJW Detailing
04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Hello,

It's been a while for me, super busy with my last year of college. Anyway, my spring break begins today and i looking to take advantage of the 10 day break and detail the car to the extreme.

I want to have the paint wet sanded, to remove both orange peel and the water marks that have developed (im not sure how considering i always have the car waxed)...im thinking its a result of honda's soft clear coat.

I live in medford and was wondering if anyone is in the south jersey area that is thoroughly experienced in the form of wet sanding.

Thanks, Kieran

RaskyR1
04-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Is this factory paint?

KJW Detailing
04-09-2009, 02:44 PM
yes it is

RaskyR1
04-09-2009, 02:50 PM
yes it is

It's not recommended that you wet-sand factory paint with the intention of removing orange peel. There simply isn't enough clear on the car to do this safely. It's not that it can't be done, but if you remove to much clear you will likely have clear coat failure soon. Plus you leave very little material for future corrections that may be needed.

Cheers,
Rasky

KJW Detailing
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
ok well then wet sanding is out and i guess i will have to live with the orange peel and water etching (the water etching bothers me more just for the fact that i take care of my car and i still get it)...

RaskyR1
04-09-2009, 02:57 PM
ok well then wet sanding is out and i guess i will have to live with the orange peel and water etching (the water etching bothers me more just for the fact that i take care of my car and i still get it)...

I would try removing the water spots with a compound first. If that's not cutting it you can look into doing a light wet-sanding to try and get them out. Just don't jump right into sanding if a less aggressive method will work.

Rasky :cheers:

KJW Detailing
04-09-2009, 03:06 PM
well naturally i would do that, but the difficult ones are on the trunk lid and roof and those i have tried a chemical remover this no help and then almost a year or more ago i did a full ext. to the car using a compound and i dont think it even made a dent in them...

...really does it matter...no i will only have the car up to dec. 2010 then the lease is up and i move on...but i still car as to how my car looks!

any suggestions?

RaskyR1
04-09-2009, 03:12 PM
well naturally i would do that, but the difficult ones are on the trunk lid and roof and those i have tried a chemical remover this no help and then almost a year or more ago i did a full ext. to the car using a compound and i dont think it even made a dent in them...

...really does it matter...no i will only have the car up to dec. 2010 then the lease is up and i move on...but i still car as to how my car looks!

any suggestions?

Well if you can find a trusted pro in the area I would have them look at it. Without actually seeing it I can't really say which route to go. A good compound, wool pad, and a rotary should be able to remove most water spots.

KJW Detailing
04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
yea see idk anyone that i know and trust...and you live to far away haha! i will most likely work it will a compound and a wool pad and a rotary and see how that works out...otherwise i will simply have to continue to live with it

RZ Autodetailing
04-09-2009, 06:38 PM
pm sent