PDA

View Full Version : Add a Glaze??

Lowprofile
04-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I was under the impression that a glaze was only used after machine polishing and also needed to be applied by machine. Any of you guys use it after just a basic wash, pre-clean, and before wax? Says it can add an even deeper wetter look to your final finish and it can be applied by hand. Would it make my final finish that much better?

Wash
Dry
Pre Cleaner
Glaze
Sealant

Would the results be worth the extra step of adding a Glaze? If it will add a noticable difference I don't mind the added step. Opinions?? Thanks

NC.:R32
04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
read this

Auto Paint Glazes

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_2048_95782163http://us.st1.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/Img/trans_1x1.gifIf you’re in search of paint perfection, don’t forget the glaze. Car glazes are usually regarded as optional unless you’re a collector of exotic or vintage cars, but they are well worth the time if you’re a die-hard enthusiast.

A glaze is a shine-enhancing product that goes on after polishing but before the wax or sealant. It is made with oils and wetting agents that amplify your paint’s shine and improve the clarity. Glazes are usually used by auto manufacturers and paint and body shops to prefect freshly painted surfaces before the vehicle is handed over to the consumer. Glazes generally do not have protective qualities, but they may have fillers that hide any slight imperfections in the paint. A glaze is often used by a body shop after compounding to restore the shine and eliminate haze.

A glaze is not a polish or wax. It is strictly a shine-enhancing agent that will produce a dramatic wet look on your paint. On the concours series, a glaze is essential to achieve a winning deep gloss. Most glazes have no protective qualities so always follow with a wax or sealant.

BenzDetailer
04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Glaze has one purpose -

To hide RIDS or and non corrected paint condition prior to LSP!

termigator
04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
It will add gloss to the paint surface and maybe hide a few swirls, but if your paint isn't in very good shape, there's no point in using a glaze. I only add it if I know my paint surface is swirl free because the glaze I've used in the past (3M Imperial Hand Glaze) is a PITA to remove. Whether to use a machine or hand to apply the glaze, it really depends on the glaze. Some like the Poorboy's glazes recommends applying it, letting it haze and then removing it. You can probably just apply those by machine. Some, like Meguiar's #7 are a lot easier to apply by hand and removing by hand because you're not supposed to let it dry on the car or otherwise it's very hard to remove. I would put the 3M IHG in this category since I tried, unsuccessfully, to apply it by machine.

Lowprofile
04-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Hey, thanks for the re-printed info NCR32. That is actually one of a few I read on the site product line up which sparked my interest. Was really looking for more 'real world' user feedback like Termigator provided. My car, and the cars I work on all have very nice paint. I was just looking for real user feedback on adding a glaze to the preparation steps. If it will add a noticable difference than, to me, it worth the extra step. But on the same note, if it comes with negative side effects that out weigh the positive than I will stick to my game plan. Which it looks like it does according to Termigator. If it a "pain in the ass" to take off I need to consider that. That was the type of response I was looking for. Anybody can read the 'product descriptions" ;) Thanks anyways. Anybody else reccomend adding this step or skipping it. The paint on my car and my clients is actually pretty clean. Comments?? Thanks!

BenzDetailer
04-09-2009, 12:22 AM
On a Black Car with slightly imperfect paint even after cprrection you can't beat PoorBoys Black Hole Glaze.:buffing:Im the MAN

Rsurfer
04-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Danase Wet Glaze! It can be put over or under a wax or sealant. For a sealant, DWG and UPGP. For a wax, DWG and Fuzion.

Lowprofile
04-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks guys...That is the feedback I was looking for. Believe it or not I did actually read EVERY product description before posting my inquerry. Looking for real user feedback. Will deffinately look into Danase and Poorboys Black hole. Just looking for the best look possible. Thank you Termigator, Benzdetailor, and Rsurfer for real world user feedback. Hell, we can all read product descriptions. Give me something real. Thank you. Any others? And please, no copy/paste type answers. If a glaze can add more depth than it has my attention. And on the same note, I hate wasting time. Any others? Thanks

termigator
04-09-2009, 06:19 AM
If you're unsure about the glaze, do what Mike Phillips of Meguiar's suggests: apply the glaze on one panel, step back and see if you like it. If you do, finish the rest of the car with the same stuff. If not, just go straight to wax/sealant.:cheers: