PDA

View Full Version : Water pump

Touchof Class
04-06-2009, 11:48 PM
I just bought a 70 gallon water tank to use with my pressure washer for doing some mobile washes. My question is what kind of pump will i need to feed water from the tank to the pressure washer? I am not sure if i need a pump that will cut off when i am not spraying with the pressure washer or if any pump will work? sorry if this is a dumb question but i am a little confused

TMD
04-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey TOC,

We've got a 65 gallon water tank inside our van and have never needed a pump. Gravity should be good enough if your outlet is at the bottom of the tank. We have a hose running from the bottom directly to our pressure washer and can run that tank down down to a couple gallons. As a way to stop the flow when not in use, we use a common turn-valve seen on most houses. The pressure isn't diminished either.

renegademobiledetailing
04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
We have a 125 gallon water tank on our detailing trailer. We use a Fimco water pump. It is very similar to this one right here.

On Demand 3-gallon SHURflo 12v Pump, Sprayers - GEMPLER'S (http://www.gemplers.com/product/127741/On-Demand-3-gallon-SHURflo-12v-Pump)

I just wired it up to the trailer's electrical and it runs off my vehicles battery. It will pump when it needs to and then shuts off when i am not using it. It also has a main power switch, so you dont run it dry, etc.

I thought it was better to pay the $100 to get the pump than to take the chance of running my expensive pressure washer out of water! The system works well.

I will attacha a picture of my plumbing job. I hooked it up so i have one going to the pump, and then also a seperate line for when i hook up to fill up the tank with soft water.

Hope this helps!

-Cory

Touchof Class
04-07-2009, 05:31 PM
thanks guys i really appreciate the help. i just wanted to make sure i dont burn my pressure washer up. Thats some nice plumbing work you have there Cory

renegademobiledetailing
04-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks! I wish that I could say it was all me. My older brother has been plumbing for over 5 years. He has some mad skills! Hope everything works out for you! If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Im more than willing to help out!

-Cory

Showroom Shine
04-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Harbor Freight has a similar pump that runs off DC for about $25. I use one to pump from my tank. I did not want to risk burning it up. All pressure washers do not have the ability to suck the water continueously.