PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys EX Question

dshavers
04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
So this weekend I decided it was time to get a nice sealant on my car. I applied multiple coats but waited 24 hours in between. I'm reading that the correct was was to do multiple coats right after another and then wait 24 hours to cure. By waiting 24 hours for each coat, did I screw anything up? This is with Poorboys EX Sealant.

nrengle
04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
You should be fine. I have no experience with the PB EX Sealant, but with most others, you have to wait 4+ hours before you can layer, and generally it's recommended 12 to 24 hours for most, so you should be good to go.

budman3
04-06-2009, 08:34 PM
You did just fine, the 24 hour rule is a good one to go by. You can do 2 coats one after another (no wait time) but that is usually to ensure complete coverage. Letting the sealant cure for 24h will allow it to cure properly and possibly add durability to subsequent applications.

Rsurfer
04-06-2009, 11:08 PM
You did just fine, the 24 hour rule is a good one to go by. You can do 2 coats one after another (no wait time) but that is usually to ensure complete coverage. Letting the sealant cure for 24h will allow it to cure properly and possibly add durability to subsequent applications.Hey budman, I agree with you, however I have read many times to apply 2 coats for complete coverage. I really don't believe in that statement. I can't see how so many of us are so anal about our cars that you could miss a spot. I think it's a waste of product and time to do a second coat right away. I've waited till the next weekend to do a second coat. This in my opinion gives the sealant or nuba time to really cure out. Just my 2 cents.:cheers:

Rsurfer
04-06-2009, 11:20 PM
BTW I know someone will say that the second application of nuba will remove the first because of the solvents in the nuba. This may be true, so on my second application, I use the spit shine method, although I don't really put more than 1 coat. I just spritz the area with a little distilled ice water. This should dilute the solvents and harden the wax which should not take off the previous layer. I just can't prove this theory.

Dayten
04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey Guys, I don’t mean to high jack this thread. I am still new to detailing and had a question that popped into my head when I read the thread. When sealant or wax has cured say for 24 hours, and you are ready for a second coat, would you re-wash your car? Or would you just use a Quick Detailer? The reason I am asking is that sometimes even though my car is in a garage, sometimes after a wash and wax (single coat) you can see some dust that has already settled on the surface.

Rsurfer
04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey Guys, I don’t mean to high jack this thread. I am still new to detailing and had a question that popped into my head when I read the thread. When sealant or wax has cured say for 24 hours, and you are ready for a second coat, would you re-wash your car? Or would you just use a Quick Detailer? The reason I am asking is that sometimes even though my car is in a garage, sometimes after a wash and wax (single coat) you can see some dust that has already settled on the surface.
If it's in a garage and just some light dust, QDing should be fine.

Dayten
04-07-2009, 09:18 PM
If it's in a garage and just some light dust, QDing should be fine.

Thanks for the info.