PDA

View Full Version : Newbie finally getting it together

lndrvrus
03-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey guys, I've been lurking around and have been checking out AG for a few months now but have finally decided I need to get my act together. I emailed Matt and he has provided some great items for getting my vehicles back together. Just thought I would get some feedback before I go lay down a bit to AG and move on from the old way of just wash n' wax. Here is where I'm headed...

Kits:
PC7424 + Pads kit (6.5 in. pads - 1 orange, 2 white, 3 gray)
PC Counterweight
DP Max Wax kit (includes the DP shampoo, clay, lube, max wax and some other goodies)
DP Detailers Interior kit (covers pretty much the entire interior)
DP Wheel Kit (cleaner, tire gel, wheel glaze, etc.)
Meguiars Plastic Care kit (for cleaning headlights, etc.) Would consider another option over this if there is one better.
DP Premium Surface Shield 32oz. (applied with gray pad)
DP Pad Rejuvinator (Is it worth it? Figure it's a good investment to extend longevity of the pads)
PB SSR2.5 (applied with orange pad)
PB SSR1 (applied with white pad)
Duo-Spur Wool & Foam Pad Cleaning Tool

How many additional pads should I go with for 3 vehicles? So far, I'm up to 1 orange light cutting, 2 white polishing, and 3 gray finishing. I was thinking of making it 2 of each for each vehicle based on Matt's recommendation. That would add 5 more orange, 4 more white, and 3 more gray. What about using a blue or black finishing pad? Thoughts on just buying an additional pad kit instead? Not sure exactly when or how to use the MF bonnets or the terry bonnet?

Plan is start with wash with DP shampoo. Next clay the vehicle. Then SSR2.5 with orange pad - hand buff with MF towel. Next SSR1 with white pad - hand buff with MF towel. Then go with DP Premium sealant with a gray pad - hand buff. Wait overnight to cure in the garage. Hit it the next day with Max wax applied by hand - buff with MF towel.

Question - when should I hit the headlights and taillights with the plastic cleaner and polish? I was thinking after the wash but before the clay.

Also, plan to do the wheels after final wax is complete. Plan to remove each wheel and hit it good the first time. How often do you guys normally use the glaze on the wheels?The insides of the wheels are tough to reach. Figured it would be easier to just put the vehicle on jack stands and remove the wheels and clean inside and out to remove as much brake dust as possible and apply glaze.

Finally, finish up with the interior. I know....sounds like a lot for a guy that is going from just wash and wax to outright crazed. Problem is I've now got one vehicle parked out in the FL sun all the time and it's killing me to watch it sit out there. Since I don't want to get rid of it, best thing is to maintain it as best as possible. Plus, need to get in the habit so when my toy comes in next year, I'll already be accustomed to spending hours on detailing it.

Thanks in advance for the input. Thanks to Matt and AG for making most of these recommendations.

LndRvrUS

98bmw323is
03-25-2006, 11:50 PM
i would start out with the less abrasive polish first then move on to the more abrasive as needed but your list looks pretty good. you might want to get Pinnacle Crystal Mist as a quick detailer before you apply the next coat of wax after you let the first coat dry the night before. Buy that only if you think there might be dust or some contaminets on the surface. or you could just re wash the car.

cwcad
03-26-2006, 07:07 AM
The guys at AutoGeek are doing just what they should. IT appears that they gave You some good advice for the products that you purchased.

I think the number of pads that you spoke of are sufficient. I like to change pads often and do not like cleaning pads mid detail so I have a lot of pads at my disposal. Variation of the pads gives you better options when trying to correct a paint defect. Always start with the least abbrassive product first then you can advance with product and pads to get the right level of abbrassiveness to correct the situation that is in front of you.

IMO, put the MF bonnets in a safe place and order MF towels or more pads. For me they just gum up to fast and do not do what I feel is a very good job on product application or removal.

lndrvrus
03-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Thank you for the feedback.

ScottB
03-26-2006, 08:46 AM
I would never consider challenging Matt on recommendations, and I dont know your specific needs (looks like we are considering start to finish) but I highly recommend this kit on the corvetteforum weekly:

http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html (if you want added durability over a carnuba wax, just add Poorboys EX-P , can be used alone or with Nattys as a winning combo)

This includes the buffer, the wax, and all the polishes you need. Plus the QD and Gloss enhancer that you will surely want to experiment with shortly. I really wish we would add some car wash (Poorboys Suds) to the package and price at like 250.00 as it would be complete finish enhancer in one box.

As for the headlamps, if they are in good condition, I find the Plexus works fine in keeping them looking like new. Benefit is you can use it tinted windows also as needed. For pads a minimum of 1 per class is needed per vehicle. So with most families having two cars a minimum of two pads (orange, white, grey) will be needed. The rejuvinator rocks !! I would also highly suggest adding a set of 6 of the ultra plush Cobra (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-microfiber-towel.html)towels as you will need them, and once to try them, simply, you will WANT them. Might also need a drying Guzzler .... but you pretty much now have it nuts to bolts.

lndrvrus
03-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the input Killr. The headlights are actually in need of a good cleaning on one of the vehicles. I was even tempted to just order new headlight assemblies but figured I would try to clean them first. As for using PB NB over the DP MW.....I better not ask for opinions here. I know it's all personal preference. I guess I throw this question out. Which is best for a dark green metallic finish? What about silver metallic finishes?

trying2
06-06-2006, 09:12 PM
here is a trick that some people use if cost plays a role in cleaning the headlights!
take some sand paper and wet sane the headlights! i used 1000-1500 grit, sue the same motion - up and down!
take and spray them off with water good, let dry and wipe clean with terry cloth
now take a can of clear paint and spray both sides!
do not touch for a period of time!