PDA

View Full Version : micro fiber care

smltown517
04-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Yes, I am that much of a rookie! Do you wash MF's in the laundry w/ everything else? Does the laundry detergent leave contaminants that will mar the surface?

Emile
04-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I NEVER throw my MF towels in the wash with my clothes. The microfiber detergent that Autogeek sells is supposed to be good stuff; specifically formulated to be gentle to microfiber towels. I believe that you can find microfiber towel care information on the Autogeek website.

Personally, I just throw a bunch of towels in the wash, put some Tide in there and set my machine to the Cotton/Normal cycle.

dublifecrisis
04-03-2009, 08:16 AM
this gets discussed all the time. search and you'll see plenty of methods.

Check the Buy One get one free section-There is a good deal on MF detergent. Yes wash it in the washer but ONLY with your Microfibers. Do not throw your MF in with your other clothes or towels. I Use the gentle/handwash cycle and warm water. Add an extra rinse cycle at the end and sometimes it doesn't hurt to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar in the final rinse. Use only detergents that are free of dyes, purfumes, fabric softeners. There are plenty on the shelf and they are cheap. Tumble dry low for 15-20 minutes and take them out of the dryer before they're completely dry. no extreme heat.

this is how I do it.

Jimmie
04-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Microfiber will pick up lint that is near impossible to get off so wash MF's alone. A dedicated MF wash is a good idea. Until you have some Woolite will work.

ScottB
04-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Wash with a dedicated MF Cleanser, never mix with any other laundry including towels, never use fabric softner, and always store seperately in a closed cabinet or zip locks as possible.

I do find those blue dryer balls work well with MF towels in dryer to keep some static in check.

BenzDetailer
04-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I split my MF into six piles:

1. Any used primarily along with the wash / foam product.
2. Any Used in the drying process - Primarily waffle weaves.
3. Any used for door jambs and drunk lips that take on dirt not removed during the wash process.
4. Any used on wheels that might of picked up Brake Dust.
5. Applicators used to apply wax.
6. Any towels used for wax removal or spray wax detailers.

Yes SIX seperate loads of MF wash. I use between 15 and 25 per vehicle. I have close to 400 MF products.

I have vehicles I have washed this way for years and have never had to do any serious paint correction on them.

Cross contamination is the way to protect paint!

ScottB
04-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Don’t drown your microfibers, clean and restore them with Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator! (http://www.autogeek.net/pin620.html)

BOGO in case any one needs MF Towel Cleaner ...

HMFIC
04-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I wash mine by hand. I have a couple old 1 gallon glass pickle jars that I use to soak them in(DP Pad Rejuvenator, works pretty good on micro too). After I've let them soak for a bit I will use my hand to squeegee out the cleaner back into jar. Then I spot clean them with my pad brush while I rinse. Then hang to dry.