PDA

View Full Version : need help

turbogst12000
04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I started working at a detail shop , when hired i had to sign a paper saying if i did anything faulty and caused damage to a car i had to pay for it...

i had a 350z come in who was friends with the manager , he was hit in the rear and had some scratches . none there could get them out i knew i could.. i was given a buffer and a wool pad i went to work.. all scratches gone but on the last pass something put a small scratch in the bumper to the plastic.. taking the pad off the buffer i noticed in the center of the pad where the hole is a small piece of the rubber from backing broke and came through. The owner of the car told me not to worry about it no big deal he has the guys insurance info and tipped me... 2 days latter the manager calls me in says i have to pay for it but he might can work a deal out because the guy wants to piant the front too because of the rock chips.. I am looking at this like i didnt burn anything , what i was given to use did the damage... i looked at the pads i threw 12 of them away .. they throw them in the dryer and never take them out till they need them or the end of the day.. the 12 I tossed the velcro part you attach to the buffer where all riped up from the glue melting... all the wool pads have huge cracks and stuff in them.. i told the guy he needed to order new pads and to keep them in zip lock bags and do not to put them in the dryer.. he said "yea yea"

i was told i can pay or im fired..

There a rip off they charge 300 bucks to put a meguiers all in one on a random orbiter and just do the hood, top and truck, put wax on the rest. funny thing its its like a small chain here and they have 400-500 cars go though the tunnel and about 12-20 cars a day that see the detail bay..

had a masaratie come in yesterday that had etching from bird poop noone could get it out so i went to my car got my stuff and the customer praised me and said the car never looked so good... through some fuzion on it =-) (Assist. manager put more scratches in it using true grit)

im at a loss sorry for the long story had to vent a lil

HMFIC
04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
These type of place only care about how much money they can make and have little to no pride or passion in the work. In my opinion pride and passion are key to being a good detailer. The outcome of your work should be more gratifying then the money.

I personally would look for another job or better yet start your own! If you stay there too long you might start picking up some of the bad habits. This manager(s) obviously does not know the 1st thing about detailing. That scares me and my car is safe in the driveway.

Take your passion to someone who will appreciate it.

Its better to vent then blow up.

Gordon

turbogst12000
04-02-2009, 11:46 PM
only reason i took this job was because i got layed off and i love to detail cars... i would love to start my own business but money is tight with me and the wife now, they dont pay anything.. and i need more equipment.... i have the chemicals ,wax,polish, random orbiter and a buffer... trying to save for a steamer or a water extractor. With the economy the wife lost her bonuses wich was a big part of her salary but she is going back to school to get her degree in logistics/purchasing... i did make some business cards and geta FED id # for it just havet had the money to get everything i need to really go into it

HMFIC
04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Sorry to here that man. That complicates things and can offer no advice. You dont need a hot water extractor to clean carpets tho, just a little more elbow grease.

Best of luck to you.

akimel
04-03-2009, 04:06 PM
I am not a lawyer, but you may have a legal case if the manager fires you because of damage done to the car because of faulty equipment. Do you know a lawyer who can advise you? You are in a tight spot and have been placed in an unfair position. Good luck.

Showroom Shine
04-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Sounds like you have enough to start a business. The experience you have picked up from the no good guy at the detail shop will help you get a good start. It won't be hard to find customers that will appreciate your work. ASAP find another detail shop to work at. Have some cards made up for your business. start working on leaving there.

turbogst12000
04-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I have been doing this as a hobby for about 12 years are so... Got my fed id # today, my dad helped me out and bought me a vapor steamer.. had cards made.. His office manager is going to help me with some advertising...

question though since i am new to this should i change my company to a LLC, how much insurance should i get.. and what is the bonded thing? Cause apparently i need this as well?... sorry just all new to this being laied off might bring me some good..

by the way i was fired for refusal to pay for the bumper.. told him to F*** off

i have a lawyer from when i got in a car wreck but not sure its even worth bothering with