PDA

View Full Version : Carnuaba vs. synthetic wax

smltown517
04-02-2009, 10:18 AM
What's better, tried and true or high tech? Specifically I am looking at Meguiar's carnuaba vs. their tech wax.

RaskyR1
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
What's better, tried and true or high tech? Specifically I am looking at Meguiar's carnuaba vs. their tech wax.

That depends on you. Synthetics tend to be more durrable, so if that's something you are looking for than I'd go that route. I personally love the look that carnauba's give and don't worry about durrability. :cheers:

ScottB
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
they each have their faithful and for good reason too. Carnaubas offer depth and wetness that even the best sealants still cannot duplicate, however a sealant (synthetic wax) offers longer protection and usually quite reflective.

dublifecrisis
04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I was just thinking yesterday ->Why do I even give a crap about durability when every time I wash my car or wifes car (at least once every 2 weeks) I'm gonna do a spray wax or one of my hybrid QD/wax mixes anyways.

So that's probably your answer: How often do you want to apply a wax or sealant? If you think you'll do it every month, go with a nauba. If you think you may only do this 3-4 times a year go with a sealant and get some sort of spray wax to replenish the gloss and protection between applications.

OGauge4Me
04-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Lots of members have good results with a nuba on top of a sealant. On my next full detail on my car I will go that route and see if I like it.

img
04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Wolfgang sealant/Fuzion topper

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
04-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I like the look of a nuba and personally don't mind applying wax every month. Right now I have WG sealant and Natty's blue on my car.

Gunslinger
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Carnaubas and synthetics have each come a long way. Synthetics originally were nowhere near as good as natural waxes but now they're the equal if not better in some cases. It still comes down to personal preference and what you want out of the product...rare is the product that gives both the depth and clarity we all want plus the durability.

A lot can depend on your car's color and the environment you live in. Some waxes and sealants give better visual results on certain colors, no matter how expensive they are.

If I lived in Arizona where my in-laws are, I'd use a quality synthetic such as Zaino as synthetics would hold up better in the sun and heat of that region. If I lived in a coastal region with salt air or where there was significant air pollution I would consider a product such as Rejex. Since that product is made for aircraft and boats with the environment they operate in, it would do well on a car, and many, many car owners swear by Rejex and the finish it gives and its durability.

Since I don't live in areas like that, I still like using a quality carnauba and the look my favorites give. That's just me...there's really no right or wrong answer. It's what you want and how much you're willing to spend on the product and how much effort you care to put into it.

dublifecrisis
04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
well said Gunslinger! I live in Florida and the heat can be brutal. I like the look of a sealant even on black. Something about that plasticky hard candy reflection that draws me in over the warmth of a wax.

termigator
04-02-2009, 09:29 PM
That depends on you. Synthetics tend to be more durrable, so if that's something you are looking for than I'd go that route. I personally love the look that carnauba's give and don't worry about durrability. :cheers:

+1. I would also like to add that Meguiar's Tech Wax is a lot easier to take off than their carnaubas (I'm talking about M26). Don't know if you would find that important or not, but I thought I should mention that.

img
04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
CarSynogen+a combination of carnuaba and synthetic--can produce
a deadly shine---Fuzion rules.

Bunky
04-03-2009, 04:37 PM
well said Gunslinger! I live in Florida and the heat can be brutal. I like the look of a sealant even on black. Something about that plasticky hard candy reflection that draws me in over the warmth of a wax.

If anything it does cause a vehicle to stand out from the rest.