PDA

View Full Version : Newbie (sort of)

bejor77
08-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi All,

I'm from Venezuela, just registered, although I have already ordered twice (although still waiting for the last one). I'm warning you, this is going to be a looooong post...

I have already made a few things but still feel I'm missing a few things. Instead of buying a DA, I bought a circular polisher and lucky enough to not have burned through the paint.

I have a black Toyota Corolla (the second car I worked on) and got sort of good results, as follows:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/bejor77/DSC01337.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/bejor77/DSC01341.jpg

For this work, I used 3M products: Clay bar, Swirl remover for dark paints, imperial hand glaze and Show car liquid wax. I don't like the hard work it gives to remove their products, so I'd like something else for polishing. After a month I gave it a coat of EX-P and a coat of P21s. But there are a few details as the 3M Swirl Remover is too mild.

(this is how the car looks with EX-P and P21s on upper panels)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/bejor77/21-08-06_1057.jpg

I was thinking about Poorboy's SSR series but would like know what you think about it and what other options do you suggest, as I will work on 2 light grey (almost silver) and 1 dark grey car :)

That's all for now...

ScottB
08-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Take due care with the rotary, and never exceed 1200 rpms. You should do fine, just remember light on the corners. As for polishes you will find the SSR's get alot of attention as do the new XMT series. Both are much easier to use over the 3M choices, and make nice work with circular or orbital.

supercharged
08-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Welcome to Autogeekonline forum!

Poorboy's SSR series of Pinnacle XMT series are excellent products.
Since it's a black car I highly suggest that you get a foam gun and DP Xtreme foam formula shampoo for washing. Being very carefull and using right tools will keep swirls from happening. Natural sea sponge for washing would be an excellent choice. As far as for paint protection I highly suggest Souveran. Liquid Souveran is an excellent product. Super easy to apply and remove. It's gold in a bottle. If money is not an issue - the Souveran Paste will do even better. It will make paint look soaking wet. It's designed specifically for dark and black paints.

Longetivity is 6 weeks for liquid, 4 weeks for paste. Then you have to reapply another coat.

bejor77
08-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the advice on the speed, actually I think 98% of the time I used less than 1000 rpm being careful and trying not to do any harm to the clearcoat. I think that as I used a very mild product (3M Swirl remover) it was kind of helpful. So SSRs are on the what to buy list. Is it right to get their Professional Polish for a last step before the sealant?

Also I've read on another forum about Optimum products, is this line another option?

bejor77
08-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Welcome to Autogeekonline forum!

Poorboy's SSR series of Pinnacle XMT series are excellent products.
Since it's a black car I highly suggest that you get a foam gun and DP Xtreme foam formula shampoo for washing. Being very carefull and using right tools will keep swirls from happening. Natural sea sponge for washing would be an excellent choice. As far as for paint protection I highly suggest Souveran. Liquid Souveran is an excellent product. Super easy to apply and remove. It's gold in a bottle. If money is not an issue - the Souveran Paste will do even better. It will make paint look soaking wet. It's designed specifically for dark and black paints.

Longetivity is 6 weeks for liquid, 4 weeks for paste. Then you have to reapply another coat.

Thanks supercharged

I've seen what Liquid Souveran can do, is really amazing, but as I just got P21s, I'll have to leave it when I need to fill up my supplies :D and also I've read it goes well with Klasse SG underneath, right?

supercharged
08-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Never tried that combo. For flat blacks (non metalic) best works Four Star Ultimate Premium Paint Protection sealant topped off with Souveran paste. This is the best there is. (look at Killrwheels Vette!)

It paint has metallic flakes though, then Wolfgang sealant topped off Souveran.