PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done different?

Pages : [1] 2

Birdhunter
04-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Well all the new snow has given me a little more time to put my order together before spring(hope it comes this year:D) I have decided on the flex (still reading and pondering all the cleaners, waxes...(overload :eek:).

What I would like to know, is what you forgot to get or wish you had gotten with your first few orders.

Thank You

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
I wish I would have started off with Menzerna instead of the XMT line.

Birdhunter
04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
What did you like about the Menzerna over the XMT?

dublifecrisis
04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
well I went with Menzerna but I went with the cheaper non cerami-clear polishes (Intensive Polish and Final Polish). I later learned that nobody was really giving those any props and SUPER IP was where it was at. SIP has more cut I guess but in reality the Final Polish I got really does finish down nicely.
I ordered a PC and wish I had sprung for the Flex so feel good about that decision.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
04-01-2009, 09:28 PM
What did you like about the Menzerna over the XMT?

XMT does nothing for cars with hard CCs. Regardless of what I'm working on now, I will reach for Menzerna. XMT just doesn't compare.

guapo187
04-01-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm still very noob, but I made my 1st purchase about a month ago. I went with the flex and couldn't be happier. In fact, I think I might have been a little disappointed in going with the porter cable because I feel like the flex was so efficient at its function. I would have been worn out after doing my car with a machine that many people say will take twice as long as the flex.

I also went the the menzerna IP and final finish (I think?) and couldn't be happier with the results. They were easy to work with the flex.

If I had to do it over again, I think I:

1) would have waited for a very good sale to come along. It seems like every other week there is some kind of special or discount or bundle deal that offers fantastic savings on something you really want or need.

2) would have got more pads. Stopping to clean the pads was a pain. I got one of each color of the regular pads as well as the kompressor pad bundle (http://www.autogeek.net/kompressor-buffing-pads.html) on sale. I think I could have been better off with 3 orange, 3 white and either 2 blue or 2 red pads. I didn't even use some of the ones I bought (yellow. green, black).

3) more microfiber. I went through way more towels than I thought I would (about 25). Of course I gave my car "the pleasure" of a full on detail.:buffing: I actually had to stop part of the way through the polishing process to wash some towles. I was also tired though - the noob slowness didn't help either.

I hope this helps :cheers:

HMFIC
04-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Your buttocks and your knee will thank you.
Bucket Seat Cushion, 12 inches (http://www.autogeek.net/bucket-seat-cushion.html)

Also fun to smack friends, little brothers(and big brothers), nephews ect. when they are not paying attention to what you are saying. Great attention getter that also gives you a reach advantage!

Birdhunter
04-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks,

This is all good, keep it coming. :cheers:

tempter927
04-02-2009, 10:12 AM
I ordered the flex, menzerna products ccs pads,,but havent used them as of yet.

I'm not sure if you're referring to just paint correction but if you have alloy/aluminum/chrome wheels I suggest you get a good wheel brush/safe wheel cleaner (ie the much hyped p21s gel) and after cleaning and drying seal the wheels with a polish or sealant.
This step should keep your wheels cleaner and easier to wash on a regular basis. Once wheels are clean and sealed you can use Duragloss aquawax after a wash to add a little shine and protection if your wheels have a clearcoat.

Also poorboys bright n bold is a pretty good tire cleaner/shine in one.

Birdhunter
04-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Great tip, thanks

Emile
04-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I would have gone with the Flex from the beginning.

I would have gone with Menzerna polishes from the beginning.

I would have probably gone with 6.5" pads. Since you are getting the Flex, you have no choice but to use the 6.5" pads anyways.

As for sealants and waxes, I wouldn't have purchased so many different products at so many different price ranges. I would have focused on some good polishing products and rely on the sealants and waxes just for protection and some added depth and wetness.

Birdhunter
04-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Looks like the Flex and the Menzerna are the way to go.

redboost10
04-03-2009, 12:06 AM
more pads and more pads

HMFIC
04-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Try to get a few different colors when you purchase some micro fiber towels. Buy a stack of cheap ones too for those "what the hell is that" moments.

I use a certain color for different tasks. 1 for wheels, 1 for wax/sealant, 1 for windows ect. ect.

Birdhunter
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
How many pads and how many micro fiber towels? Also what about a pad cleaner and MF cleaner?