PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if a detailer really knows their stuff?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ben.Peterson
04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey guys,
I am still looking to find somebody in either the Durango CO area or in Phoenix Az area that can assist me with some paint correction. It appears from no replies that we dont have anybody on the forum from there, so is there a way to tell if they are good/know what they're doing beforehand? I'd like to get my paint corrected (swirls) so that i can start from ground zero. What are the kinds of questions i need to be asking to be able to tell if they really know what they are doing, or are all talk?

Thanks for your help!
Ben

pricha00
04-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Have them give you at least three references of previous customers. Ask to see some before/after pictures if possible might be helpful as well. I find it hard to believe that no one in the Phoenix area is an Autogeek.

Pat.

Harleyguy
04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I guess you can also stop in too there shop if they have one.Can ask what kind of products they use and you can always post what ever info they tell you on here .If they are mobile check out their car or truck and see how it looks .

Ben.Peterson
04-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the pointer's guys! I will for sure check them out first, unfortunately i can't get too 'in-depth' as i live in colorado. My wife and I are going to be visiting her parents in Anthem AZ (north phoenix) and i was wanting to get the paint corrected while we're there as i don't know of anybody locally that can do that.

I have sent 3 detailing outfits emails, and will see what they say back. I will probably take you up on the offer of posting their replies here and asking for your help to see if they are really just 'talking the talk', or if they really know it.

Would it be correct to assume that generally you'll get a better job having to take the car to their location instead of a mobile detailer?

It's looking like (judging just by the posted prices on their websites) it's going to run me around $300... does that sound about right?

Thanks again!

Ben.Peterson
04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Also thought it might be a good idea to post the websites of the 3 I emailed. If it's not too much of a bother i would appreciate somebody looking at them to see if they can tell if they are good/not so much just by what they state on their websites.

Mobile Auto Detailing and Car Wash Fountain Hills, Scottsdale, Phoenix, Arizona (http://www.majesticdetailing.com/index.htm)
SharpShine Professional Automobile Detailing (http://www.sharpshineauto.com/index.html)
Reliable, quality mobile car detailing serving Scottsdale, the Phoenix Metro Area and Arizona - Classic Image Mobile Detailing (http://www.classicimageinc.com/index.php)

Thanks again for the help!

ScottB
04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
ask for referrals ... check on them and BBBOnline for complaints.

BenzDetailer
04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Call the Rolls Royce Dealership and the Mercedes Dealership and see wo they refer you to.

Ben.Peterson
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
I just received my first email response as follows:

Removal of swirls on your vehicle would range in cost from $250 to $450. It all depends on how deep. We would need 2 to 5 hours on the paint again depending on condition. We schedule out around 2 to 3 days. Classic has been in business for 20 years and are good standing members of the BBB. We are unable to disclose customers phone numbers or names.We do not take pictures of customers cars because we feel it does not do justice & anyone can make cars look good in a picture.

It seems a little weird that they don't take pictures and that they can't give me any referrals... What do you guys think?

I will try calling the dealers tomorrow... hopefully they'll know somebody :).

Thanks!
Ben

termigator
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
$250 to $450. No referenceS and no pictures. Hmm.....RUN!!!!!!!!:D
Sounds fishy to me.

Are you an obsessed detailer like everybody else here or did you get on to get an idea of what to look for in a professional detailer?
I'm not trying to be insulting or anything. I'm just thinking that if you're a detailing enthusiast, you could use the $$ and get a lot of stuff to use to do the paint correction yourself, especially if they're just swirlmarks. If you're not into detailing but want good results, I would certainly understand you coming here for advice.

Ben.Peterson
04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
No offense taken :). I do love detailing my cars, but i've never gotten into any paint correction. I just bought this car (black 2006 Cadillac STS-V) so it's kinda' my baby, and it is expensive (not that it matters, but MSRP in '06 was 77k)... So i'm too shy to jump into it the first try.. My thought process was to fork out the cash for a pro to start me with a clean slate.. then i would have time to practice and get the proper equipment.. so by the time i need to do it again i will be able to do it myself. I have another vehicle that i can practice on (Lifted 2003 chevy truck.. also black), but I was wanting to get the new car 'shiny new' fairly quick... It's embarissing driving around in a shiny clean car and then you get in the sun and it looks HORRIBLE.

The car's swirl marks are literally the only problem with the paint.. i think i found 2 very small rock chips on the front lip and they were hard to find. I just received my 'forum favorite' kit today, so i'm looking forward to detailing it... i just know that even good wax won't fix the swirl problem.

Hopefully that helps explain my situation a little better :).

termigator
04-01-2009, 10:22 PM
IMO, you should just save your money and dive in and do it yourself. You get so much help from forum members you'll feel like a semi-pro in no time.
Let me be the first to offer some advice: Always start with the least aggressive products and work your way up. That way you won't damage your paint to the point where it can't be corrected.:)

img
04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
diddo! Why pay someone to do half the job you would. To them, time is money, so the less time they spend, the more they make. If someone is
spending less than eight hours on your first go round, they're probably not making true corrections.

Heed the advice from the forum, spend the money, have some fun, take
pride, and do it right--remember, "Nothing works until you do".

termigator
04-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Also check out the Show N' Shine section of this forum. Most of the time guys will have before and after pics. of the cars they worked on and they usually go into detail of what they used and how they did it.

mabcat
04-01-2009, 11:57 PM
:iagree:
$250 to $450. No referenceS and no pictures. Hmm.....RUN!!!!!!!!:D
Sounds fishy to me.

Are you an obsessed detailer like everybody else here or did you get on to get an idea of what to look for in a professional detailer?
I'm not trying to be insulting or anything. I'm just thinking that if you're a detailing enthusiast, you could use the $$ and get a lot of stuff to use to do the paint correction yourself, especially if they're just swirlmarks. If you're not into detailing but want good results, I would certainly understand you coming here for advice.

HMFIC
04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
:iagree:

Black cars need a lot of attention and being a V means it would be best to give your undivided attention or she might decide to bust loose on a tight corner.

AG has a lot of How to videos and instruction and the backlogs of this forum are ripe with info. Figure out what type of polisher and polishes you might like and jump in.

These are a must have for me. They block out most of the machine noise(w/o music on) and sound awesome!

Bose On-Ear Headphones - Audio Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/on_ear_headphones/index.jsp)

(I figured since these are mot competing with and products from AG, or its affiliates, it would be ok. If not I give you my apologies)