PDA

View Full Version : Show Car Glaze: need some advice

christian900se
04-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi everyone!

Ive been looking around, but cant seem to find any definitive information on applying Megs Show car glaze. Im aware of doing it by hand, but is this a wipe on wipe off product or do I work it in? If so, how much do I work it in?

All advice is appreciated.

Matt S.
04-01-2009, 01:41 PM
#7 is basically oil, so there is nothing to work in per say. I would work it in a little bit to ensure even coverage. There is no "curing" period, just be sure to apply it super thin or it will be a pain to remove. A lot of people like to apply to the entire car, then go back and wipe off each section at a time.

Emile
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
+1 for what matt said.

A pure glaze is typically wipe on wipe off, but I have been told to apply it to the entire vehicle (thinly and evenly), and then go back and buff it off. This is what I was told from Danase regarding the Danase Wet Glaze...usually the same thing for all true glazes.

akimel
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
In his video Mike Phillips applies #7 to the entire car and then removes it; but on MOL he usually recommends that one apply and remove it one panel at a time.

Massage it into the paint surface and then immediately remove it with a clean microfiber towel, one panel or section at a time. But you need not remove the layer of glaze all on the first try. #7 tends to "skin," like homemade pudding, as Mike puts it. You remove a layer of skin, thus exposing the pudding underneath, which will then begin to skin again. Move on to the next panel, returning to the previous panel sometime later. I usually return to the "previous" panel immediately following the "first" panel, but others come back to the previous panels after they have glazed the entire car. Does that make sense? A rich oil-based "pure polish" like #7 has to be treated very differently than synthetic glazes.

The important thing is not to let #7 dry and be prepared to go back over the polished panels for a second buffing.

Al

RaskyR1
04-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I will apply #7 on 2-3 panels at a time and then go back and wipe it off. The longer it sits the harder it can be to remove.

termigator
04-01-2009, 03:48 PM
+1 for what matt said.

A pure glaze is typically wipe on wipe off, but I have been told to apply it to the entire vehicle (thinly and evenly), and then go back and buff it off. This is what I was told from Danase regarding the Danase Wet Glaze...usually the same thing for all true glazes.

ABSOLUTE DO NOT GO OVER THE ENTIRE CAR WITH #7 BEFORE TAKING IT OFF! You will have a nightmare taking it off. I've asked Mike Phillips at MOL about #7 before and he said do one panel/section at a time. Go over the area 2 - 3 times max before wiping it off immediately. Do not under any circumstance let it dry on the panel. The paint is only going to absorb so much oil before you're just pushing the stuff around aimlessly.:buffing:

christian900se
04-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great information. I would do it over a panel at a time, but was never quite sure and was probably using too much of it since I remember it being a bear to remove sometimes :)

Also, I am going to start using collinite 915 as my base wax and then a top off with my p21s or Pinnacle sig series 2 wax. Will the glaze interfere with the collinites durability?

termigator
04-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Glazes shouldn't affect the durability of waxes. Sealants are a different story....