PDA

View Full Version : Problem with UDM?

crash93ssei
04-01-2009, 12:04 PM
I am noticing something with my UDM and I am wondering if it is normal or if there is a problem with it.

When stopped, you can grab the backing plate and move it around. I am not talking about spinning it, or moving around the counterweight. It acts like the bearings inside the counterweight are loose or bad. It spins freely, but like I said, when it is stopped you can grab the backing plate and it has some play side to side in it.

Is that normal, or is it a problem? I just don't want it to fall off during a detail :D

Craig
04-01-2009, 01:32 PM
That sounds like a sloppy bearing. I checked mine, no play at all.
I would look into replacing the bearing.

ScottB
04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
time for a Flex .... well if you dont want to repair the UDM as necessary.

img
04-01-2009, 07:08 PM
shouldn't be any playing with your ballsbearing

Craig
04-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Why did you have to go there? I said, I checked them, (you should do that every now and then), No one is playing with anything. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

img
04-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey, I figured someone would eventually, and I had the humor to spare.

crash93ssei
04-02-2009, 08:02 AM
LOL too funny!!! :righton:

I don't think I will be buying a flex any time soon. I will just cope with my UDM for now until I buy a Makita rotary soon :buffing:

Craig
04-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I was curious and took mine apart. It has two bearings with a spacer between them.

crash93ssei
07-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Anyone know if I can buy parts for it? I don't remember for sure, but didn't they come with a two year warranty? I doubt the warranty would still be any good with them not even being made anymore, but mine is just over a year old.

Something is definitely shot inside it. I have had it apart and don't really see anything that jumps out at me as bad, I figure that there is wear on the bearings and the shaft as they all come out very easy. It still works, but I am worried about it falling apart while I am using it and either causing damage or just not being able to finish.

ScottB
07-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I have seen posts on other sites specifically about the UDM failures. First, their reputation for repair or replacement within warranty timeframe was always offered without issue. I heard of some getting the newer model (rebadged PC) too.

It also appears the switch, ball bearing, and one other item (cannot remember) were the main issues and relatively easy to repair.

I would google : Ultimate Detailing Machine and use contact area, cannot hurt. Let us know your findings.

crash93ssei
07-19-2009, 08:07 PM
I bought it at AG if that helps at all. I have Googled it already and all that came up is the newer PC UDM....

I will check into it more though.

Bunky
07-19-2009, 08:23 PM
I bought it at AG if that helps at all. I have Googled it already and all that came up is the newer PC UDM....

Check with Meghan here. She probably can contact them and find out your options.

budman3
07-19-2009, 10:23 PM

How long ago did you buy it? Many people have had issues after 1+ years of ownership --- which the MFG doesn't warranty anymore. There is a reason they switched to the PC UDM, the original had extreme reliability issues. I think the brushes went out on mine... now I just have to find some replacements ....