PDA

View Full Version : Mobile water tanks.

newtundra
03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I was thinking of getting a low profile water tank to fit in the back of my pickup truck under my tonneau cover. I don't have the coin right now to buy a pressure washer, so my ? is, can I just hook the tank up so it can operate on a regular garden hose? Will the water flow out of the tank properly, or do I need some kind of pump & and would this idea be good. I will probally get a pressure washer later on, just trying to do some cars on the side.
Thanks.

Craig
03-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I asked the same question years ago. I was told just hook up the hose
from the tank to the pressure washer and everthing works fine. The pressure washer I own, has a min. psi of water pressure feeding the pump. I haven't tryed it, only what I was told. I have seen small pumps
that run on 12 VDC, with 30 psi pressure (Harbor Tool). I've never seen
any tank, pressure washer combo with the smaller pump to feed the pressure washer.

AeroCleanse
03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Well you can use it a hose, not sure how effect it would be however. But you should look at Optimum No Rinse as an option.

Showroom Shine
03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
I have a low profile tank,and a pressure washer and a small utility pump. My pressure washer would not suck the water. My pump runs off the DC side of my generator. When I'm using my pressure washer I run my generator too,and the pump. I never have hesitation from my pressue washer. I have a 50" hose,and the longer the hose the harder the pressure washer has to work. My set up has worked fine going on 7 years. I also carry a spare pump.
Gravity did not work for me. I also carry ONR!

Showroom Shine
03-31-2009, 06:52 AM
Well you can use it a hose, not sure how effect it would be however. But you should look at Optimum No Rinse as an option.Been there ,done that. ONR is a Great Product. But for wheels,rims,and wells.I just like the pressurized spray,especially on chrome and the newer Alumium Wheels. Any of the supposedly safe wheel cleaners still have to be rinsed off throughly!

AeroCleanse
03-31-2009, 08:35 AM
Been there ,done that. ONR is a Great Product. But for wheels,rims,and wells.I just like the pressurized spray,especially on chrome and the newer Alumium Wheels. Any of the supposedly safe wheel cleaners still have to be rinsed off throughly!

If ONR doesn't get it, I break out my steam cleaner for wheels.

WindyCity
03-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Most pressure washers will need a water pump in order for them to work. When you connect the pressure washer to your house hose you get standard residential pressure which is alot more than connecting it to just a water tank alone. Some do have the ability to work without a pump it just depends on the pressure washer.

If you dont use a pressure washer and you just want to wash cars you will probably need a water pump as well since you will hardly get any pressure from the hose, especially if you want to rinse wheels and wheel wells.

renegademobiledetailing
03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
I bought a 125 gallon water tank abou 2 years ago and hooked it up with a little 12 volt pump. I think the whole set up(tank and pump) cost me about $300. The pump just runs through the trailers electrical, pulling from my truck battery. It works nice, and i dont have to worry about starving my pressure washer!

I dont think that a water tank alone will provide you with the amount of pressure that you need.

Good luck though!

Take a look at my plumbing job we did!