PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice Buffing Fresh Paint

HMFIC
03-30-2009, 12:08 AM
My little brother is coming down to see me for spring break April 6. His car(96Mustang GT) is getting painted from the door latch back today or tomorrow. So the paints going to be about one week old. I have never buffed paint that fresh before and do not know what to expect.

Any advice or information would be appreciated

Thanks Gordon

redboost10
03-30-2009, 12:37 AM
i have always been told not to touch fresh paint for at least 60 days?

SMOOTHFINISH10
03-30-2009, 01:28 AM
when it gets painted they have to buff it to smooth out any defects on the paint, make sure if you use anything it is body shop safe and it shouldn't harm anything.

SMOOTHFINISH10
03-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Better yet if the paint is only a week old and the person who painted it did a good job I would not try to buff it that does not make sense???? Only buff what needs to be buffed. Are you tryin to fix something the painter did?

HMFIC
03-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Its our uncle who is painting it and he knows i detail(as a hobby). So, knowing our uncle, he is going to pass some work to me since he is painting it for free.

HMFIC
03-30-2009, 01:47 AM
i have always been told not to touch fresh paint for at least 60 days?

yeah I heard something about a time frame before buffing. was wondering about that too

SMOOTHFINISH10
03-30-2009, 02:07 AM
That will be a goo opportunity to really buff. I have a friend who paints and I occasionally buff out the clear for him. So if your uncle leaves the paint as is painted and cleared, then buffing it will be fine. Not to many painters like that step and I don't know why? You will have to treat it as old paint to get out fish eyes and small defects, do a heavy cut w/ wool a medium polish and finish polish. I know my friend uses 3 M products.

SMOOTHFINISH10
03-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Ask your uncle what he has done before you do anything though!!!!!!!!!!

BenzDetailer
03-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Be careful what you put back over top of fresh paint! That stuff needs to breathe for 60 to 90 days.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
03-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Actually... It really depends on whether or not the paint was baked in a booth. If it was not baked... I would NOT buff it yet. It will still be soft as all of the solvents have not flashed off yet, If it was baked... Go for it! Just dont use any sealants on it for 60-90 days.

RaskyR1
03-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Ask your uncle what he has done before you do anything though!!!!!!!!!!

I agree.

I would assume the car will have already been wet sanded and compounded before you get it. You will likely just have to check it over for any remaining sanding marks, tracers, or pig tails and deal with them first. Then it's just a matter of removing the deep holograms from the compounding. Just be sure that all your products are body shop safe.

RaskyR1
03-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Better yet if the paint is only a week old and the person who painted it did a good job I would not try to buff it that does not make sense???? Only buff what needs to be buffed. Are you tryin to fix something the painter did?

I also agree with this. :cheers:

Since you are only painting half the car, you want the new paint to match the texture of the factory paint. Most shops will only wet sand out the dust specs unless it a full repaint and the customer is willing to pay for a smooth finish.

HMFIC
03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Menzerna Micro Polish PO 87MC
WG Total Swirl Remover 3.0WG Finishing Glaze 3.0
CSS 7.5 pads blue and up

This is what I have to work with. I know he doesnt have a bake both. I will find out more today from my brother when he gets out of school. I would call my uncle but I let someone use my cell phone at work and they walked off with it. Leaving me with no phone numbers. DOH