PDA

View Full Version : Is this any good?

kelviiv
03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
So I was cleaning up and found out I have a black and decker brand name rotary.

Here is a picture of it. http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6537/img0109lnb.jpg

Heres the deal.

I have a PC right now and I think its a time for an upgrade.

I am debating on getting a flex or a makita/dewalt. I'm leaning towards the flex since it is more user friendly or I can use this black and decker for a while. If I do can someone lean me towards the right direction of what pads/backing plate would work.

Please share your opinions. Thank you

2old2change
03-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Looks almost like a dw849. Is it one or multi-speed ? Data plate should show speed,amp etc.

kelviiv
03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Multi speed from 1 to 6. I do not see any other information.

kelviiv
03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
So I'm leaning towards just keeping this rotary.

I will need pads though. Can someone direct me into what pads are best and if I need a new backing plate, etc?

I'm not familiar with rotarys at all.

SMOOTHFINISH10
03-30-2009, 01:50 AM
That is the same as the dewalt the only difference is the name. Dewalt is the premium brand for black and decker and that must have been made before Dewalt started. If you put it on speed 1 that should be 1500 rpm. Look up on the net to see if you can find more info, I have one similar but I think it is a model older. SM Arnold makes good pads, lake country, and buff and shine. Be careful with the wool, start off using a less aggressive foam pad and then move to a wool when you get comfortable w/that. Hope this helps.

kelviiv
03-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Appreciate it, I will be keeping this then. I cannot find any information about the speed. So I will take your word for it. What is the speed I should be going at after I work in the polish/compound? Also 5.5" or 6.5" work better?

RustyBumper
04-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Someone posted this some videos in this thread. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/circular-polishers-rotary-polishers-high-speed-polisher/17645-rotary-video.html

Rsurfer
04-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Appreciate it, I will be keeping this then. I cannot find any information about the speed. So I will take your word for it. What is the speed I should be going at after I work in the polish/compound? Also 5.5" or 6.5" work better?
Speed depends on the polish and condition of the paint your working on. Larger pads will correct faster as they generate more heat than the smaller pads. The complete opposite of a DA polisher.