PDA

View Full Version : Clear coated wheels

raswank
03-28-2009, 02:49 PM
What is the best product? Or way to clean them? I use soap and water, but sometimes there are stubborn marks, brake dust flakes and such that won't come off. I am also putting on a new set of wheels on my new accord that are a chrome look wheel that is clear coated. Thanks for any help.

Jimmie
03-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Clear coat treat just like paint. Get all of the tar and brake dust off with a good wheel cleaner or P21S TAW then protect with a wheel wax.

raswank
03-28-2009, 08:08 PM
P21s I hear a lot about that. Reg or gel

D
03-28-2009, 11:23 PM
P21s gel isnt much different from using a strong dilution of car soap and water...

redboost10
03-29-2009, 12:23 AM
i used some nano and a white ccs pad on my clear coated wheels and finished them off with a coat of pw exp sealant

Matt
03-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Hi,
Just a quick question about wheel wax, currently I just just Turtle Wax Platinum wax on my clear coated wheels (I'm sure not using my P21S 100% Carnauba on my wheels :D).

Is there any real difference between using a dedicated "wheel wax" and just using a cheap paint wax? (apart maybe from durability)

Thanks, Matt.

Rsurfer
03-29-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi,
Just a quick question about wheel wax, currently I just just Turtle Wax Platinum wax on my clear coated wheels (I'm sure not using my P21S 100% Carnauba on my wheels :D).

Is there any real difference between using a dedicated "wheel wax" and just using a cheap paint wax? (apart maybe from durability)

Thanks, Matt.
Matt, I can't speak for others, but I perfer a sealant opposed to a wax. Wheels can get very hot and I believe a sealant is more durable than a wax. I have DG501 as a base and use AW weekly after a wash. Brake dust and dirt just washes away with plain soap and water.:cheers:

Bunky
03-29-2009, 06:53 AM
Clear coat treat just like paint. Get all of the tar and brake dust off with a good wheel cleaner or P21S TAW then protect with a wheel wax.

I had been told that clear coat on wheels is softer than the paint on sheet metal and had seen recommendations for a polish intended for plastics would be a less aggressive way to to clean them up prior to applying the wax or sealant.

ScottB
03-29-2009, 08:52 AM
I have found a great like of attack for painted wheels, and it works well.

Washing -- P21S Wheel Gel
Drying --- Thick MF Towel
Polishing --- Finishing Polish
Sealant --- DP or Poorboys Wheel Glaze

bill walsh
03-29-2009, 06:39 PM
a vapor steamer works great also