PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a good product?

LutzD79
03-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Okay, I am new to this detailing thing and certainly new to any product that isn't off of the shelf of my local discount store. I visit this site daily and read the threads and am beginning to get concerned if I bought a good product for my needs? I have a jet black BMW and I bought the Wolfgang Concourse Series kit for total swirl removal. This kit includes the following:

Finish Glaze
Instant Detail Glaze
Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Total Swirl Remover

LC White, Orange, and Blue pads

I also purchased a PC 7424 and will be getting a clay bar kit sometime in the near future.

The reason for the concern is that I don't have a lot of knowledge about the different products but whenever someone on here asks for advice on product I never see Wolfgang mentioned as an option. It is usually some other brand like Meguire's or something like that that is offered as a suggestion. I will be doing my first detail in a few weeks and need some reassurance that I have what I need or did I spend money on an inferior product?

Thanks for all of your advice and help, I am little paranoid :)

Darren

Brian_Brice
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Well depending on the damage you should be good with the products you have. Ordinarilly I would say start with a white pad and lightly abrasive polish. Your car being a jet black bmw iit could be silly soft or horrendously hard. You would be surprised how much technique trumps product selection.

Make sure to use 15-20 lbs of pressure using you white pad and swirl remover initially, make sure to guide your pc very slow in overlapping passes. Make sure sr is completely broken down before pulling your hair out due to lack of results. That polish will break down translucent when finished.

If you are getting good results but not 90-95% correction, go over each section again in the same fashion, or you can step up to an orange pad. The sealant you have looks pretty great on black.

termigator
03-26-2009, 06:34 PM
The stuff you got are fine. People just have favorites. Actually the stuff you have is pretty good. The only thing I'd do differently is use a carnauba wax like Meguiar's #26 for a black car, but that's just my personal preference.

LutzD79
03-26-2009, 06:42 PM
The stuff you got are fine. People just have favorites. Actually the stuff you have is pretty good. The only thing I'd do differently is use a carnauba wax like Meguiar's #26 for a black car, but that's just my personal preference.

You guys are already making me feel better about my selection. Can I put the sealant on then do a carnauba wax on top?

LutzD79
03-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Well depending on the damage you should be good with the products you have. Ordinarilly I would say start with a white pad and lightly abrasive polish. Your car being a jet black bmw iit could be silly soft or horrendously hard. You would be surprised how much technique trumps product selection.

Make sure to use 15-20 lbs of pressure using you white pad and swirl remover initially, make sure to guide your pc very slow in overlapping passes. Make sure sr is completely broken down before pulling your hair out due to lack of results. That polish will break down translucent when finished.

If you are getting good results but not 90-95% correction, go over each section again in the same fashion, or you can step up to an orange pad. The sealant you have looks pretty great on black.

When you say my BMW could be "silly soft or horrendously hard" are you saying that generally speaking BMW clearcoat can change from car to car? Or does Jet Black BMW have a history of being one or the other? I bought the car used and the paint has been in good shape from the beginning, there are a few light swirls, but nothing major.

Wendell Jarvis
03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
When you say my BMW could be "silly soft or horrendously hard" are you saying that generally speaking BMW clearcoat can change from car to car? Or does Jet Black BMW have a history of being one or the other? I bought the car used and the paint has been in good shape from the beginning, there are a few light swirls, but nothing major.
It depends on the series of BMW...some are soft and some very hard, 740 has a hard CC

LutzD79
03-26-2009, 06:56 PM
It depends on the series of BMW...some are soft and some very hard, 740 has a hard CC

I have a 3 series. Wish I had a 7 series, but alas just a 3er :)

Not to take this thread off topic, but I noticed you are a UK fan! I grew up in southern Ohio, watching UK basketball. Do you think you guys will have a new coach by Monday? Or do you think they will give him another year to make things better?

termigator
03-26-2009, 07:05 PM
You guys are already making me feel better about my selection. Can I put the sealant on then do a carnauba wax on top?

I think that's what most "enthusiasts" do. Carnauba on top of a sealant. The theory behind that is you get sealant durability along with the carnauba "look". Personally, since my cars are garaged, I skip the sealant on my red Prelude and just go straight to carnauba. It's just preference. For now, since you just have the sealant, just put that on and see if you like it. I'm betting you will. I've done FMJ on my black TL-S and liked it so much I didn't bother with a carnauba topper.:righton:

img
03-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Great selection, but noticed you skipped right to the finishing part without addressing the critical first step--hopefully a Tornador is on your wish list, and you can get off to a great start.

LutzD79
03-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Great selection, but noticed you skipped right to the finishing part without addressing the critical first step--hopefully a Tornador is on your wish list, and you can get off to a great start.

Nope, no Tornador is on my list. I use the Meguire's Gold Class soap with the two bucket method though :) I like the pictures on here when the cars have been soaked with a foam gun.