PDA

View Full Version : Polish for rookies??

Pages : [1] 2

pricha00
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
I was just thinking that my biggest concern when polishing is knowing exactly when the polish has completely broken down and continuing to buff is counter productive. Why doesn't one of the major polish manufacturers make a polish that changes colour as it breaks down. You know like starts out red, fades to pink and finally plain white when the abrasives have been used up. I mean they make ceiling paint that has this type of colour change so I can't believe that this is impossible. I bet a lot of guys that are just getting into the buffing side of auto detailing would really appreciate this type of polish, even as a learning aid before they step up to the finer polishes on more expensive vehicles.

Pat.

RaskyR1
03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
All of Meguiar's new polishes use Super Micro Abrasive Technology, which are tiny abrasives that DON"T brake down. So there is no guessing with them. You simply polish until the defects are gone, then let up on the pressure and do another pass or two. Doesn't get much easier than that. ;)

Brian_Brice
03-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Well imo all polishes are easy to use provided you know how to polish, then read and follow directions. If I were to help pick out a line for someone to start using I would say xmt as its "easy" to use and produces serious correction results.

budman3
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
XMT and Poorboy SSRs are quite user friendly. Every polish line has unique characteristics which require some changes in technique but those can be found when searching for that line. For example, the SSR2.5 link in my sig, the new 'Kevin Brown Method' with Megs 105 and 205, back to the old 'add a little OP to a finicky polish to make it last longer'.

As a general rule of thumb, look at the color of the polish at the beginning of the polishing session and watch it slowly turn opaque. When it gets this clear, you have worked the abrasives down sufficiently. You may continue polishing for a better shine but also run the risk of dry buffing or excessive dusting from the polish drying out.

Emile
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM
You just have to keep practicing until you get the hang of it. I agree that it's difficult for newbies to be able to determine that point but it is worse to not work the polish in enough than to work it in too much provided you are using a Porter Cable. The PC7424 is very user friendly in this regard and is practically idiot-proof.

pricha00
03-26-2009, 05:16 PM
You just have to keep practicing until you get the hang of it. I agree that it's difficult for newbies to be able to determine that point but it is worse to not work the polish in enough than to work it in too much provided you are using a Porter Cable. The PC7424 is very user friendly in this regard and is practically idiot-proof.

Yeah the PC is pretty safe but I find myself almost using the rotary exclusively now. The speed and the lack of vibration make it easier on my herniated disc in my back. A friend purchased the Makita for me to do his race car, really hard clear that my UDM wouldn't budge, and I find it hard to go backwards now. I usually just apply glazes with the UDM and leave the correction to the rotary.

Pat.

termigator
03-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I was just thinking that my biggest concern when polishing is knowing exactly when the polish has completely broken down and continuing to buff is counter productive. Why doesn't one of the major polish manufacturers make a polish that changes colour as it breaks down. You know like starts out red, fades to pink and finally plain white when the abrasives have been used up. I mean they make ceiling paint that has this type of colour change so I can't believe that this is impossible. I bet a lot of guys that are just getting into the buffing side of auto detailing would really appreciate this type of polish, even as a learning aid before they step up to the finer polishes on more expensive vehicles.

Pat.

Changing colors as they break down would be quite cool, but like Rasky said, the new Meguiar's polishes don't break down, so the color changing thing wouldn't work.

I usually make between 4 to 6 passes and then wipe and check, FWIW.

Jimmie
03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
I think that you've got a great idea there. Starting out I would have bought a product that did that. I used a kitchen timer when I started, but it quickly became a pain to use.
The best tip that I ever got on polish breakdown was from Ed, "HighEndDetail". He said look through the polish. You'll see it go from paste (wet) to chalk (drying or flashing), and also see what it is doing on the paint as you get clear windows through the polish.

img
03-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Polish breakdown kind of parallels soap breakdown when washing.
After you apply, with a Tornador, when the bubbles diminish (like the polish),
then you know it's time for that final rinse.

Brian_Brice
03-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Polish breakdown kind of parallels soap breakdown when washing.
After you apply, with a Tornador, when the bubbles diminish (like the polish),
then you know it's time for that final rinse.

I take it you're a big fan of the tornador?

Kinda makes me want to get one and dig out my compressor.

img
03-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Hear that Meghan

WindyCity
03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I just wish there was a different color polish for white paint! It is really hard for me to buff white

redboost10
03-27-2009, 10:14 AM
ill admit the menzerna products take some time to get used, but once you do, there is nothing to it.

are the megs 105/205 effective with the use of a pc?

pricha00
03-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Supposedly the new formulations of 105/205 are PC friendly. The new SMAT abrasives don't require breaking down which is what the PC couldn't do with the old types. Not enough friction to break them down, a rotary was preferable for that.

Pat.

redboost10
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
thanks Pat. ive been wanting to try them but not ready to step up to a rotary.