PDA

View Full Version : marker on leather

maddenbowler
03-18-2009, 05:42 PM
my little sister marked on the back armrest which is a leather like material and we cant get it out. My parents tried leather cleaner, soap, acetone, magic eraser and its still there. Any suggestions

ScottB
03-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Goof Off ?? (test carefully)

maddenbowler
03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
no luck

BenzDetailer
03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Go talk to your favorite Dry Cleaner. Make sure he is a guy that has been around for 20 plus years and does his own work right at the store. They all know how to get ink out of leather!

Showroom Shine
03-18-2009, 10:52 PM
The best resuls I have had removing any bad stain in leather is a Magic Eraser with a mild apc. Rub only the mark very lightly. Check frequently during process. I'm pretty sure this will work. It may be a bit lighter than the rest of the seat. Use Caution!

judyb
03-19-2009, 05:42 AM
If you have tried all the above and not removed the marker then it has permanently recoloured the leather and will need a technican to recolour the area.
Removing ink or markers is not a cleaning problem it is a technical one. It may require strong solvents to remove it which will damage the finish on the leather which will then need replacing. There are no magic solutions. Anyone selling a product guaranteeing to remove ink does not understand leather or the nature of repairs - any product guaranteeeing to remove ink will always damage the finish in doing so.

Magic Erasers are like fine sand paper and will remove the finish on the leather so should be avoided. If you do remove the ink or marker with a Magic Eraser then you will alos have removed the finish which if not replaced will cause major problems in the future.

Hope this helps

Showroom Shine
03-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Yes JudyB, I said that it would lighten up the area. As you have said the leather has been dyed by the marker. There are ways to recolor the leather,which I have had some training in. I learned from one of the best in the color and repair business. Thad, is one of the best at repairing and recoloring. I saw him repair a cigarette burn in leather,and recolor it ,and you could not tell there had been a hole there. I believe that marker on leather can be repaired to where it is not as visible. Vinyl Pro of Western Pa. This is Thads company,and He can show you how to fix it! Can you do it? You talk like you have the skill yourself. My suggestion was a quick inexpensive solution. I know it's not perfect,but I have done it with minimal to no discoloration!

judyb
03-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Yes recolouring processes would be what is needed and the repair should (if done well) restore the colour to match the original.
We actually teach in the UK so this is the type of work we train people to do.

Showroom Shine
03-19-2009, 07:20 AM
OK, JudyB I Understand. I know the process. Thanks