PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender ?

MASERATI nut
03-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Spring is in the air! I've had car garaged for 3 months on Battery Tender. This is the first time i've used it. When I decide to disconnect it, does it matter whether I pull from electrical outlet 1st and then disconnect from battery or vice versa? Thanks in advance!

08 Maserati Quattroporte Exec GT
98 Mercedes C230

loudog2
03-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I would unplug it first. I usually attach the cables, then plug it in. Then unplug and remove cables when I'm done.

Harleyguy
03-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Did you leave the battery connected during this time ?? If you didn't disconnect from the wall first then hook up the postive lead first then the negative.

MASERATI nut
03-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Did you leave the battery connected during this time ?? If you didn't disconnect from the wall first then hook up the postive lead first then the negative.
Yes, I did leave battery connected the whole time. So when I do disconnect I should unplug from outlet first correct?

loudog2
03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
unplug before removing the cables from the battery.

Harleyguy
03-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Yes, I did leave battery connected the whole time. So when I do disconnect I should unplug from outlet first correct?Yes from the wall first.If you leave the car for a long period of time you should get a battery disconnect .Most auto parts stores have them .The only down side to those you have to reenter you radio stations every time you disconnect the battery

CharlesW
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Isn't the purpose of the battery tender to keep the battery charged and not need to remove or disconnect the battery?

loudog2
03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't disconnect mine. I'll still drive it a couple times a month.

Harleyguy
03-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Isn't the purpose of the battery tender to keep the battery charged and not need to remove or disconnect the battery?They are used for both .I have customers that use them both ways.even if you use a disconnect you should still keep the battery on a trickle charge ,if left alone it will go dead and even with a fast charge it won't come back from the dead.Battery sulfation ,the only other thing to be carefull of is the battery running dry during storage time.More collector guys use a disconnect since classic have very little battery drain no computers running in sleep mose to drain the battery.Newer cars have many computers that drain the battery even if the car is in sleep mode .Sorry went off track some

gary748s
03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I love my Battery Tender! I use the quick disconnect on my car and the bike, so I don't have to remove the battery cables. Works great...

D_Nyholm
03-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, i may be different, but I have no had any problems so far. I leave the Battery Tender plugged into the wall at all times. I have the quick connect attached to the car permanently and just connect and disconnect it there.

mystic04
03-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I always turn mine off before i connect or disconnect from the battery.