PDA

View Full Version : cleaning inside of wheel

Chip
03-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm reconditioning the face of these wheels, and I'd like the inside to be restored as well. The customers "detail guy" :D had been using something harsh to clean his wheels (Cayman) and it eventually caused the clear coat to peel (that's what I'm repairing). I've washed them with Zaino car wash, tried P21 spray, then P21 gel, and this is as good as they got. The spots in the 2nd pic are coming off, it just takes some extra elbow grease!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/uvbnbit/PorscheCaymen1.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/uvbnbit/PorscheCayman2.jpg

Any recommendations? (other than get a new detail guy :cool: )

DiPaoro
03-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Would be interesting to know what product the other guys was using. As for me, I have my new P21 Gel in the mail.

Chip
03-18-2009, 10:27 AM
I doubt he'd know what it was, but I'll try and find out. I was really expecting the P21 gel to knock it out. Maybe I just didn't leave it on/agitate it enough ???

Harleyguy
03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I doubt he'd know what it was, but I'll try and find out. I was really expecting the P21 gel to knock it out. Maybe I just didn't leave it on/agitate it enough ???I also had the same amount of dirt on my rims .I ended up taking them off the car and cleaning themby hand using Acrysol after i got them clean i waxed them

D
03-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Like Ive posted a number of times, P21s gel is not a very strong wheel cleaner, very safe, but not very strong. I might even go as far as to say its overrated and overpriced. There are many other wheel cleaners out there that are just as safe and less expensive.

I would try some 3M adhesive remover or Stoners Tarminator.

Jimmie
03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I doubt he'd know what it was, but I'll try and find out. I was really expecting the P21 gel to knock it out. Maybe I just didn't leave it on/agitate it enough ???

Try letting the P21S dwell for quite awhile then agitate again. Usually two apps like this will handle some bad ones. If not try DP Cleanse All followed by P21S.

Chip
03-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've read the comments on the safety/ineffectiveness of the P21 spray/gel on certain applications, I just didn't know how effective it would be on this type of damage, i.e. try it again, let it soak, etc. I'll try ya'lls (yes, I said ya'lls :D) suggestions.

grambow
03-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Like Ive posted a number of times, P21s gel is not a very strong wheel cleaner, very safe, but not very strong. I might even go as far as to say its overrated and overpriced. There are many other wheel cleaners out there that are just as safe and less expensive.

I would try some 3M adhesive remover or Stoners Tarminator.

D&D, I would be curious to know what wheel cleaners you're referring to. I have the P21S gel on order for my Mercedes C350 AMG wheels. I agree that stuff is expensive. However, I had some pitting issues on my last car and I dont want to risk damaging my new wheels which is why I ordered P21S. I am open to suggestions.

ScottB
03-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Use P21S Polishing Soap on the aluminum barrels. The coat with something like Klasse AIO or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.